6| Expected

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Expected

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 6: Expected (Adam's POV)

When I landed at the airport after the almost ten-hour flight, I was feeling a little jet-lagged, to say the least. In New York, it was eight-forty-five in the morning. And here, it's two-forty-five in the afternoon. So, I was jet-lagged and hungry. Whenever I traveled, it didn't matter if I flew first-class or economy, or whatever. But flight food just made me sick. 

As a kid on a trip to Hong Kong, I got food poisoning from the flight food and I've never been the same. Other than the fresh fruits and maybe a muffin, the flight food is a no-go. That trip was scary as a kid, getting so sick that it made you cry. And I wasn't alone, Emilia was stuck with me because she got sick too, also food poisoning from the flight food. So the majority of that trip, the two of us spent in the hotel room, watching movies, barely eating, throwing up, and sleeping. 

Speaking of all that, I might see her now. After five years, I might have to face her again. Aspen never confirmed if she really was coming but it's her sister's wedding and there is no chance that she would miss it. She's more than likely to be here. 

After collecting my luggage, I headed to the exit. I knew I was supposed to meet the others at the airport, but that could also mean meeting Emilia at the airport. Here, in front of all the others, who I know are dying to see how we would react if we met. 

The last time I met Emilia was the first Christmas when we started college. We came home at the same time and our families spent Christmas together, just like they do every year. Things were so incredibly awkward and we were both hostile towards each other. We ignored and avoided each other and even threw around a lot of snide remarks and jabs. 

The next three years after that, we didn't see each other for Christmas. We didn't visit each other's houses and families, despite our rooms being right across from each other, we didn't even look the other way, and two of those Christmases, her family went to visit her in San Diego instead of her flying back home. 

I couldn't stand the thought of reliving those moments, so I contemplated getting a cab and then just meeting them at the hotel, saying my flight landed a bit earlier. I glanced behind me, looking for a familiar face, to see if they were here yet. 

"There he is, Adam!" came a voice from my left. 

I looked over, nodding as Aspen and Remy walked over with our parents and Mr. and Mrs. Feye walking beside them. It's been a while since I saw my own family. They flew down for the last game I played but then I got hurt so they only stayed a few days and then flew back. 

Remy and her parents didn't come with them. 

I met Aspen and my parents first, pulling away from the hug my mom gave me. "Mr. Feye," I nodded downward, shaking his hand. "Mrs. Feye," I said, giving her a quick side hug that she reciprocated. "Remy, hey." 

"Adam," she replied, not sticking a hand out or making any move. 

"Okay," I mumbled mostly to myself.