Chapter Twenty-Nine

The doctor came and gave us a list of vitamins Adelaine has to take along with a very specific, disgusting diet that involves nothing too sweet but nothing too salty either,no sparkling sodas which I found funny cause that's all she drinks,coca cola and sparkling water are always resting on her dresser and of course she isn't allowed to stress and worry, it's impossible not to now since her mother payed her a visit.

I don't know much about their relationship but by the look on Adelaine's face while she was talking to her it's not a perfect one.She's been quiet the whole time and shut down every question I asked,all I know is what I heard from their phone call, that she relapsed and started drinking again.

I'm currently driving to her old apartments to bring the alcoholic to my perfectly clean expensive penthouse where I have valuable bottles of alcohol she will probably empty, Adelaine did offer to pay for her hotel room but I would be an idiot to say yes to that,she just agreed to give me a chance and I would blew it by telling her I don't want her crazy mother to stay with us.

"Does she know you're pregnant?"I ask while parking near her apartment.

"Nope,she has no idea and let's leave it like that,she is against sex before marriage and she would create a huge scene, I never wanted to get pregnant this way and I've made a mistake but I don't want to listen to her lecture me right now"I nod.

"So she has no idea I exist? What are we going to tell her?"She unbuckles her seatbelt and takes Evander out of his car seat."You can tell her just about anything... She's not herself anymore"She mumbles sadly and steps out.

I hate how sad she sounds and how I can't do anything to make it better.

"Where is she now?"I ask while locking the door.

"She's-"She stops and looks around."She's right there"She points her finger at the old woman sitting on the bench with a beer bottle in her hand,an euphoric smile spread across her face.

She's got it good, that happy smile says enough.

I take Evander out of her arms and give her a gentle kiss on the cheek, catching her by surprise"Breath duchess,I can see your heartbeat through your shirt, you'll get nauseous if you don't calm down".

"I know but this hurts, she's been to rehab two times and I finally thought she was getting better,I don't know why my sister isn't taking care of her, I don't even know how she managed to sit on a plane and get here"She says while rubbing her forehead in concern.

"We'll find out in less than a minute,come"I take her hand in mine and lead her towards the bench.

She's swinging the beer bottle like there's no tommorow, the look in her eyes is showing that the only focus in her life right now is alcohol and money to buy it with.

Sad.

"Mom"She whispers softly and the woman looks at her, plastering  an even bigger smile on her lips.

You can definitely see the resemblance between them,they have the same face shape and the same eye color, Adelaine is just slightly paler and well...Sober.

"My gorgeous girl"She stands up and pulls her in a tight hug, wobbling on her legs drunkenly.

"Mom, you relapsed".

She ignores her and begins kissing her face sloppily."I missed my baby girl so damn much, it's been months since I last saw you, don't You-You miss m-me?"She hiccups and laughs.

"Mom...Relapse,you promised me you wouldn't do it anymore,I told sis to take care of you"She speaks sadly and Svetlana just laughs."Oh live a little, life's too short to follow the rules and your sister happens to agree with that"She takes a chung of her beer before looking at me.