Chapter 16

Sunlight streamed through the windows of the kitchen, massaging my skin. I had slept better than I ever had. No voices. No fear. When I woke in the morning Jax was gone, but I knew he wouldn't be far.

"Honey, you didn't eat dinner last." My mom only sounded slightly concerned. In fact, she seemed overly enthusiastic.

"I wasn't hungry, but I was tired," I explained, hoping she wouldn't press anymore. To my surprise, she just shrugged.

"Mrs Mason wants us to come round to her house and meet a few cousins visiting from England," she told me. "But Sebastian said he'd come and visit today. You don't mind going on your own do you? Angel should be there?" She wrung her hands nervously, and I instantly knew what the source of her nervous energy was.

"Cousins?" I asked. "Why do we need to meet them."

"Percie!" My mom exclaimed. "The Masons practically run Silver Hills. From the sounds of it, she's invited everyone to a little gathering."

"It can't be little if she's invited everyone," I pointed out. "But I'll go if Angel will be there."

My mom tutted and pushed a plate of bacon towards me. "I owe that girl a debt. She's your only motivator."

I chewed on the fried bacon and smiled thoughtfully. I didn't even mind the thought of going out and socialising today. It used to bother me endlessly, but I'd become emboldened.

The thought of Genevieve being there stripped away some of my confidence.

"Well, have fun with Sebastian," I told her. "What are you planning on doing?"

She smiled dreamily. "Talking and drinking coffee," she replied. "I'll give you a lift to the Masons," she offered.

I shook my head on my way out of the room. "Don't bother. The Masons are only a fifteen minute walk away."

"A fifteen minute walk where anything could happen!"

"Hopefully something exciting," I called back as I headed up the stairs.

The Masons never did anything on a small scale. This gathering would probably feature the towns most important people dressed to the nines to meet these English cousins.

I chose my wardrobe accordingly with what I knew of Mrs Mason. The white dress I put on gently fell to my knees, and loose white fabric covered my shoulders but not any more of my arms. I put my hair in two braids before spraying myself with the expensive perfume I had only ever used at prom. The prom where only Angel spoke to me.

Before I left my room, my eyes unwittingly fell onto the seat where Jax had spent the night. I tried to shake the idea of him away but it was impossible. Last night I had dreamt about weddings under moonlight. I thought I hadn't wanted the mating bond but I just felt so... comfortable around the alpha.

Another person entered me head as I began the walk.

Caspar had been perfectly charming and intriguing. I also owed him coffee. The thought made me blush wildly. He had a different energy completely to Jax. My alpha looked and acted as if he'd stepped out of some wicked world where he was the gorgeous villain with a soft side. On the other hand, Caspar had the air of an upper class educated Austen heartthrob.

I wasn't sure that I was in love with either or them. But my intrigue had been caught by both the wolf pack leader and the bookshop boy with violet eyes.

I was right to have dressed up. When I arrived at the Masons I saw crowds of people milling about in their Sunday best.

As I walked into the main hall my stomach twisted when I thought of the last time I had been here. Mr and Mrs Mason were council members. And they had been gone when the wolf hunting incident had happened. Could it be that these cousins were involved in the supernatural somehow too?