Chapter 4: Frightened Jasper

"Hey, Jazzy! Surp-

"Waaaahhh!!!!" Jasper, who was frighteningly shocked, shouted so loud to his lungs' content as if he was in a horror movie. It went doubled when the figure in white cloth shouted back in fear as well.

"Eeeeeehh!!!!" Avery, who was shocked as well and momentarily frozen with Jasper's loud and ghastly voice, shouted back in fear and quickly threw the photo album she's holding and jumped fast from the chair she's sitting on thinking that maybe they are currently attacked by an enemy. For her, that could only be the logical reasoning why Jasper is continuously shouting in fear while his widened eyes are focused towards her direction. So, she just keeps on shouting as well while running aimlessly inside the room, calling for her parents' and brother's help. The two of them, still not comprehending what's been happening, just went on like that for a minute as if they are some mad individuals as Jasper's holding on too tight to the black towel that's covering his lower body while the little kid is shouting and running, flailing her two arms in the air as if she doesn't know what to do. Her ribbon-tied hair was now undone, her shoulder-length, curly hair unfixed. A few more seconds passed when Jasper got a hold of himself. Realizing at last who's the little creature he is with, Jasper stopped shouting and changed his demeanor from frightened to being angry. With labored breathing, he clenched his jaw in anger. Then with heavy, long strides and glaring eyes, he walked towards the kid's place and uncaringly grabbed her left shoulder to stop her from running, forcefully turning her back-turned figure to face him. He didn't notice anymore if he had hurt the kid in the process or what, he just wanted to know why she was there inside his room like a frightening elf in the corner, sitting so comfortable on the chair. It annoyed him more, thinking that everyone in the house knew how he hates anybody entering his own room unannounced and who is not any of his parents. No one from their house helpers had violated that and yet here is this kid, feeling so comfortable on his chair just a while ago as her eyes feasted on his thing.

"What a brat!" he thought. The moment their eyes met, he dragged her near his crouching stance to level his serious face to hers.

"WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING INSIDE MY ROOM- You… you…

He shouted loudly to her face but all the anger he's feeling for the kid's shocking presence slowly dissipated into thin air when he saw how her face was stricken with mixture of fear, tears, and snot. With a worried face, he gently held her shoulders and asked her softly this time.

"Hey kid, what's wrong?" in a much calmer voice he asked.

"J-Jazzy?" Avery asked in confusion, as if wondering if it was really him who's asking her. She's still sobbing because of the fright.

"Yes, it's me. Shh. I'm sorry, kiddo. Did I scare you that much? Please stop crying. I didn't mean to scare you, but hey, you scared me to death at first, so… Umn… So… What are you doing here inside my room, by the way?"

"J-Jazzy?" the kid stopped from sobbing at last when she seemingly fully recognized him. Jasper just remained looking at her as he nodded his head to answer the child.

"Oh, thanks Jazzy! It's really you. But, where are the enemies? What happened to them? My brother always tells me how vicious and evil the pack's enemies are. Did you fight them off already? Aren't you hurt?" though still obviously in fear, Avery asked him out of her curiosity and worries.

Jasper's forehead knotted in confusion but realized sooner what the kid was talking about. Unconsciously, he smiled at her while putting his one hand on his nape as if scratching it. He is shy. "Damn! What a shame!" He cursed to himself. 

"Silly! There are no enemies here, kiddo. Just the two of us which make me wonder once again what are you doing here inside my room?" He asked, staring straight to Avery's big, round eyes.

"But you shouted so loud and it scared me" the kid answered softly, as if being careful not to be heard by unseen enemies.

"Sorry, I was just shocked by your sudden presence. I thought you were the frightening creature that Tom used to tell us from when we were young. I knew how crazy your brother was in telling such nonsense stories and not even once did I believe him. But when I spotted you, it all came back to me thinking everything he said were true. So, there. You already know what happened next" Jasper answered, once again feeling like a fool in front of the little girl.

"So, you really just shouted in fear?"

Though the question seemed offensive to him, he still nodded because it's the truth. 

"Yes, but I saw nothing wrong with it considering you entered my room unknowingly to me" he defensively answered. 

"So, why are you here again?"

"Sorry, I was supposed to fetch you just like what the Alpha said" says Avery.

"Fetch me? For what? Why fetch me, Avery?" he asked in confusion.

"Have you forgotten? It's your first day of actual training outside so I am here to-"

"Oh, no!" Jasper exclaimed worriedly.

"The training! Right, the training!", Jasper chanted to himself, seemingly worried of what would happen to him if he arrived at the training site later. Their Beta isn't known for being the strictest werewolf just for nothing. And yet, there he is, he remained unmoving from his position in front of the kid as if lost to himself and never knew what to do. As he regained his consciousness, his eyes widened for another fearful thing to come if he would be late, thus, he stood up abruptly.