71.

The rain had just graced the earth and the evidence was in the large prints deeply engraved In the soft mud. They came to an abrupt stop and then all of a sudden, there were deeper tracks hugging the earth.

Once again, the soft pattering of raindrops began and somewhere in the distance, lighting sparkled so bright it seemed to split the early evening into two. In the ephemeral light, you could see a bruised face, full of rage, an untamed anger that was threatening to crack open the possessor. Another flash of lightning came without warning for what it carried, a terrible blazing attack, a shimmering blade of fire that was sure to leave casualties.

A raucous, deep, dark and evil laugh infected the atmosphere, decorated with graying heavy clouds in a partially reddening sky. The rash wind and the bowing trees seemed to also be conniving with this sudden invasive threat, something unprecedented, something never before seen.

A war was brewing, it seemed, but this was not an ordinary feud, this was something that had been brewing for ages, a product of a hatred that predated almost everyone involved. It was an agony and pain that was inherited and could not be allowed to go further. There was yet another bolt of lightning and it seemed like it was being pulled from the depths of the overhead clouds that were clashing together and pregnant with rain.

The muddy footprints had evolved into something extremely atrocious, they were tenfold bigger and the invisible feet created a tremor that rattled even the distant mountains.

***

The next morning was dark and gloomy, with rain clouds scattered all over the Makura sky. It looked promising; all the farmers in the area would be holding their breath in anticipation of what was to come. This season, the great skies were yet to let free their highly desired water, but it seemed that streak would soon come to an end.

When Revai woke up, Mhangura was already up and making something on the fire outside. He looked quite busy and absorbed in what he was doing, while in the distance, towards the kraal, he could see Hombarume, staring out into the distance. Now that it was bright outside, Revai could see the whole compound including the parts which Mhangura had not shown him after the sparring contest the previous summer, when he was about to depart and head back to Rujeko.

All the vegetation in the compound was thriving and he was sure that was attributed to the existence of a well in the homestead. There were more plants in pots and some planted in the ground that Revai had never seen before.

Revai could feel the stinging in his thighs as they weighed down like heavy blocks, like they were trying to come undone. The heavy running and walking on such short notice, without pacing had not done him any good. He was used to going on missions and searches for the Chief but he had never done something like this. The time he and Hombarume had taken to get to Makura was unbelievable.

'You've finally woken up, my friend. I did not want to disturb your perfect slumber. I imagine you need it after the narrow escape you described to me.'

Revai had now taken a seat by the fire and he could see that there was a greenish mixture in the pot which Mhangura was stirring.

'Yes indeed, it was well appreciated,' Revai replied.

'I do not know how your friend woke up before the both of us considering what he has been through,' Mhangura said.

Revai looked out and could still see Hombarume, now walking into the far distance.

'He is a very resilient man,' Revai replied.

Mhangura finally stopped stirring, and then sprinkled something into the pot, before he poured some of the mixture for Revai.

'How well do you know him? Mhangura asked.

Revai took a swill of the strong mixture, then cleared his throat.

'As well as you may know your neighbors, perhaps.'

'I despise my neighbors,' Mhangura replied.

Revai laughed, then answered.

'Hombarume has always been the strong willed type of man, loved by many and as opinionated as his friends, but I have never known him closely.'

Mhangura was silent for a while, then he finally opened his mouth to speak.

'Then why did you perform such a selfless act for someone that you barely know, my friend?' Mhangura asked.

'What I did was more about me than it was him,' Revai said.

What do you mean?' Mhangura asked.

'I have never been faced with such a tough, life altering decision ever. All my life, I have been protected, shielded from things and it was by the same people who are the perpetrators of evil. I had to choose what was right for my soul, for my peace of mind and to me that meant getting Hombarume out of harm's way,' Revai said.

'You are a remarkable man, Revai, but at some point, you are going to have to save yourself. At some point, the choice will not be either black or white, there will be an overwhelming amount of grey,' Mhangura said.

'And at some point, you are going to have to tell me the whole truth,' he continued.

'What do you mean?' Revai asked.

'I'm no fool. People do not just die at sparring contests; get slaughtered without a sliver of explanation. There is obviously an element to this story that you are withholding from me,' Mhangura said.

Revai paused for a moment, thinking of how best to answer to this.

'You are right; people do not just die in front of you. People are not slaughtered one after the other, go missing one after the other in a span of days in small village where nothing ever happens, but they did,' Revai said.

'All these things have been pinned on Hombarume, who to me seems like a victim of circumstance,' he continued.

'Or maybe his involvement in all this is too much of a coincidence,' Mhangura said