11.

Blood was still gently dripping from his fingers and slowly pattering on the ground. His expression was cold, he almost looked lifeless, as if all the honey had been collected from the comb and a worthless decoy had been left behind. He attempted to take a step forward then hesitated when he saw the man in front of him reach for the shiny blade that was strapped to his garment.

The light at sunrise had now flooded the hut and Revai could completely see the healer’s slaughtered corpse on the mat. The neck had suffered a clean slice and the man had bled out all over himself. He was almost unrecognizable, if not for Tapfuma’s earlier statement, Revai would have never known who it was simply because his face had been mauled and the right eye was halfway out of the socket. The lower lip had been severed completely and the sight of it was quite appalling.

Tapfuma was numb and sick, his face was buzzing and he could barely keep himself together to understand what had just happened. The only escape he got from his trance was when he felt the guard’s strong grip on his arm as he shook him ceaselessly.

‘Answer me! What have you done, boy?’ Revai repeated.

Tapfuma felt as though iron weights were pulling at his lips because he could not even utter a single word in response, he just continued with his empty gaze for a while longer then fresh tears streamed down his numb cheeks.

‘I didn’t mean to bring him here, if only I had just listened, he would still be alive. I didn’t mean to kill him, I didn’t mean to.’

He let out a few sobs and wiped off the mucus that was now oozing out of his nose.

‘What are you saying? Who did you bring here?’ Revai asked, finally releasing his firm grip.

‘It’s the prince, I didn’t know this would happen I-'

‘Slow down and start from the beginning.’

Tapfuma was just drifting through what happened next. His body was present but his spirit had died the moment he had walked into the hut. There was no going back from this and there was no healing from it either. The guilt was slowly gnawing at him and by the time he had finished telling his story he was completely hollow. He didn’t want to die, that would be an easy punishment for what he had just done to his father. Living was a better punishment for him, the guilt and the pain would feed him enough misery to last a lifetime. His father’s death was unalterable, it was quite permanent and it would always be a reminder of what he had let happen.

He didn’t remember exactly when they shackled him or when they left the compound, but he only remembered that when he left the Eagle compound and were halfway into the village, he felt free. Someone who had always been kept home as if a plague was on the loose was finally out. He marvelled at everything he saw, the people, the fields, the homesteads that stretched out all over the village, everything. The feeling was quite satisfying, even the shackles on his hands could not overshadow it. He was finally out and for a moment he forgot the tragedy that had just befell him.

Revai and his team finally arrived at the palace at the cusp of afternoon with their prisoner. The compound was rather quiet as the whole team walked in, shocking almost everyone that was going about their daily duties. The Chief was alerted of the unexpected arrival and told that the team was back and he hurried out of his chambers like an animal drawn out of hiding. He was quite confused by what he saw approaching him and he only ascertained himself when they finally arrived.

‘Revai, this sure as hell does not look like my son. What is Vhudzijena’s boy doing here?’ Banga said angrily.

‘I know sir, but you have to listen to what he said. It’s a very horrendous story,’ Revai replied.

Taura tinzwe.’

***

Hombarume opened the door to his hut and stretched out in a ridiculous yawn.

‘What are you doing here?’

The sun was already high up and the heat of summer had commenced its daily human torment. The compound was as quiet as it can get for a lone huntsman, he couldn’t hide how perplexed he was by the sudden arrival of his visitors who had just woken him from a death like sleep. He arrived at dawn from Ushe’s gathering and he had been sleeping until he heard the abrupt knocking at his door. Nakai and Cheneso were standing there looking as expectant as ever.

‘Is that how you welcome someone you love?’ Nakai asked.

‘You know your father would chase me down the road with an axe if he found out you were here, casually knocking on my door.’

Hombarume got out and greeted them both before they circled the compound to get to the avocado trees that were near his kitchen.

‘Did you go hunting recently?’ Nakai asked.

Hombarume was not ready to relive the events that occurred on his most recent escapade but he couldn’t help but remember Pomerai’s shifting hyena-like face.

‘Yes I did, kuswera nezuro.’

‘And you haven’t come to see me, mudiwa,’ Nakai said.

Cheneso had now remained a short distance behind and was busy wrestling with a low hanging tree branch.

‘I did come.’

Hombarume frowned.

‘What’s wrong?'

‘Your mother chased me away  like I had a disease.’

He sat down at the edge of the hut and Nakai followed.

‘It was because of Pomerai wasn’t it? I knew it,’ she said.

Hombarume’s stomach churned at the mere mention of the prince’s name.

‘What?’

‘Before he went missing, his father came to ask for my hand in marriage,’ Nakai said staring at the ground.

‘I don’t know what it more shocking, the fact that that imbecile would even attempt that or or-'

He stopped himself from going any further.

‘Or what?’

Hombarume pretended to not hear her question.

Cheneso had abandoned her tree endeavours after she heard the hunter raise his voice. She was still traumatized by what had happened the previous day. She was still not yet sure whether the gods had been playing a fast one on her or she was just plain dreaming. If it was indeed the gods, they had been very cruel to her. Taking the love of her life away from her wasn’t enough but they had to go the extra distance of showing her a demon wearing his face. She did not sleep the entire night. Part of it was fear of what she had seen and the rest was fear of it following her to her dreams.

‘What is it?’ Nakai asked yet again.

Hombarume took a long sigh before he said anything, meanwhile, Cheneso wanted to join them when she sensed the sudden change in tone but she stayed away for fear of interrupting.

‘I saw something that I can’t explain when I went hunting.’

‘Something like what?’

Hombarume could see Pomerai’s face and body alternate between at least four different beasts in his head, it was still very vivid and it felt like it was happening all over again. He didn’t know how he could possibly explain what he had seen to his lover without sounding like he was trying to create an outrageous story to discredit her already missing suitor thus he finally decided against it and tried to smoothly manoeuvre his way to a different topic. Luckily, he didn’t have to try too hard. The day had moved well and the sun had begun its journey back down from its peak when Hombarume saw one of the Chief’s guards approach them with much haste.

Maswera sei vakuru vesango, you’ve been summoned by the Chief.’

‘May I know the reason why I’ve been called?’ Hombarume replied.

‘I cannot say, sir,’ the guard said stepping back as if ready to leave.

Glossary.
Taura tinzwe – You can speak.
Kuswera nezuro – The day before yesterday.
Mudiwa – My love.