A Social Call

Though Mary had already begun steeling herself for her inevitable acquaintanceship with the Benson sisters, she was, in actual fact, obliged to make it unexpectedly soon, for they came several days hence for an afternoon visit to Pemberley, 'expressly,' as they said, 'on account of meeting her.'

Lizzy was out for the afternoon, and was unable to attend, leaving only Georgiana and Mary to welcome them to tea.

They were much as Mary should have pictured them to be, and much as she had dreaded. They were both of them striking, possessing an icy, indifferent beauty consisting of graceful angles and most attractive, winsome smiles. Their dress was no doubt in the latest fashion, and most carefully selected, but was nowhere near as elegant or reserved as Georgiana's and Lizzy's was wont to be, and rather teetered on the precipice of garishness. They laughed excessively and charmingly, praised Georgiana and condemned themselves most harshly, only to receive assurances that they were of no lesser merit or accomplishment.

"But of course, it is Georgiana who is the true virtuosa of our little stretch of England, for I but warble like a little hatchling swallow," a tinkling laugh to follow, "do I not, Charlotte?"

And Charlotte would nod her head vigorously, her most perfect blonde curls trembling with agreement, and would reply tremulously, "Oh, yes, I'm afraid neither I nor Emma have talents of any equal to Miss Darcy, she is simply the talk of the neighborhood."

And Georgiana would protest, and tell them that 'certainly, they were both such gifted singers, and she had already heard from many who were so looking forward to hear their performance at the dinner party.'

"Oh, my dear Georgiana, surely you see how I can hardly believe you!" Emma exclaimed, "For I know how kind of heart you are, and that you would gladly say such things for the sole purpose of furnishing me with solace and false assurance. You are too kind, my darling, simply too kind."

And Georgiana would have to insist most determinedly that she spoke only the truth, and that she herself thought Emma to be of exceeding accomplishment, until at last Emma would concede, thoroughly pink with gratification and smugness, that she supposed she had often been complimented on the clarity and strength of her voice, and even if it were not too exceptional, at least the pleasure she derived from performing was exceedingly dear to her.

Mary watched all this as an observer of a well-rehearsed play, and found herself generally and happily ignored by the Miss Bensons in favor of Georgiana, whom they fussed and cooed over most emphatically. They insisted she should try on one of their new bonnets, and when she did, were simply astounded at how well it suited her, and promised most ardently to send for another one from their favorite shop, so she might have her own in the same style. They had her twirl for them to demonstrate her new dress, which they evidently had not before seen ("so graceful and bewitching, do you not think, Charlotte?" "Oh, yes, you are growing into such a beauty, Georgiana, dear!"), had her fetch her painting from last afternoon so that they might admire its textures anew, and had her play a charming little ditty on the pianoforte, for Charlotte had been simply dying to hear it once more, and could not bear to wait till the party.

"Do you know, however, who shall be most pleased to hear you playing at the dinner party, Georgiana?" Emma said, with a dramatic pause. "Our dear brother Edmund. In fact, Charlotte thinks it is the express reason for his early return from London."

For the first time since their arrival, Mary saw a deep unhappiness cloud Georgiana's face, and though she could not begin to fathom its true cause, she knew at least that it was tied to the brother Mr. Benson, and that the Miss Bensons were not unsurprised to see it, and had of all likelihood mentioned it for the express purpose of exciting such distress.