Chapter 12: A Hope Deferred

A/N: Thanks so much for my votes, and to my new follower! I really appreciate everyone who is following along with the story :) Here's chapter 12, the dinner party, part one:

~~~~~~

As is already known to the reader, Mrs. Bennet, upon the marriage of four of her five daughters, had resolved most assuredly not to seek a marriage of her last one – at least, until that moment when she grew ready to part with her final child, having found herself some suitable replacement of occupation. But one's habits, when comprising the better part of a lifetime, are quite difficult to relinquish wholly at such abrupt resolutions, and are wont to return on occasion, despite one's best intentions.

It was through such habit that Mrs. Bennet, upon learning from Mary that there would be held a dinner party and a dance during her stay at Pemberley, had gone to the shop at Meryton directly, and had, under some strange, frantic entrancement of old routine and duty, ordered for her several new dresses which, if not fashionable or particularly costly, at least were more presentable than the ones Mary currently owned, and which, if not flattering, at least fit adequately.

Such an excursion had put Mrs. Bennet, as would of course be expected, into quite a state of nerves; and the next few days were spent in most distressed badgering of her husband Mr. Bennet, regarding who he supposed might be attending the dance, which eligible bachelors might be in Mr. Darcy's acquaintance, and if he thought it might not be best for Mrs. Bennet to accompany her there after all; all this, without any reprieve, and much to his chagrin, until at last he finally remarked sharply, "Mrs. Bennet, if you do not stop this at once, I shall marry her off to one of Mr. Phillips's clerks and be done with it!" – and thus was put to abrupt rest the small episode of turmoil which had so plagued poor Mrs. Bennet.

It was owed to this episode, however, that Mary had been sent off to Pemberley with several suitable new dresses in her possession, and that it was Elizabeth's earnest surprise to see Mary come down the stairs attired thus, having prepared herself for dress which was reflective of the austere and rather paltry wardrobe Mary had displayed thus far.

It was true that there was no single remarkable change that had occurred in Mary; but her hair had been done in a slightly newer fashion, by the sincere and well-meaning recommendation of Georgiana, and there was a new rosiness to her cheeks, and more youthful brightness in her eyes; and proper dress went far indeed; so that those who saw her and Elizabeth together that night might have even been tempted to search within their countenances for features common to both; and to indeed discover some similarities.

But these were all changes which were not at all contained in Mary's notice; or at least, she was not wholly aware or gratified by their extent; her thoughts lay chiefly at that moment with the upcoming dinner, and all that it might hold in store for her. Her musings hardly inspired her towards optimism, for Mary's natural temperament was already one which was hardly predisposed towards great ease of character, and the poor experience of social engagements which life had thus far laid before her had only predisposed it even less.

Therefore, she could foresee little enjoyment ahead of her; she could only reasonably expect the infliction of those monotonies and discomforts which inevitably accompanied such occasions – the laborious etiquette and her own social ineptness, contrasted against the charm and elegance of Georgiana, and Lizzy; the likelihood she was to be in some way scorned or disregarded; the pained look her sister wore whenever she began to play before other people – these were but some of the displeasures which she anticipated, aside from the inevitable tedium of sharing conversations with those with which she had little in common.

She had concluded that Georgiana's presence might alleviate the unpleasantness somewhat, but the Miss Bensons were likely to claim her for themselves, and Lizzy meanwhile would be engaged with playing host. And as for Mr. Crawford, the only other agreeable acquaintance – he would spare her no more time than he did any of the other guests – there should be no possible reason to expect otherwise – and besides, to speak to him would be far more unsettling and disquieting than with any of the others.