Chapter 17: The Immeasurable Burden of Anticipation

A/N: Thank you so much, as always, to everyone who is reading :D

~~~~~~~~

If a married woman was to one day be asked to explain, in precise terms, the reason that a dance universally inspires, in all young women, an unfailing and all-consuming excitement, she would certainly laugh; for the answer to her should seem wholly obvious – and, at the same time, wholly indescribable; and she should remember, very vividly, the same sense of excitement overtaking her in her youth at any mention of a ball. She might, on some reflection, say it is the promise of romance, and yet, even when there are no prospective gentlemen, the excitement remains; perhaps, then, it is the grandness of the affair – but then, some of the gayest dances were held in mere sitting rooms, with chairs and tables pushed haphazardly out of the way, with no preparation or forewarning.

If this lady was particularly clever, she might eventually come to the answer – and no one could deny that Mrs. Elizabeth Darcy was particularly clever. But she was at this moment far too busy to come to the answer, for the dance in question was being held at Pemberley, and while she might normally have observed all the ensuing fuss with great amusement, the fact of the matter was that the onerous contemplation and organization of the dance fell largely upon her shoulders, and it was now time at last for the final preparations to be begun in earnest.

The set attending would be comprised of much the same members as the dinner party, save for the Birminghams, who were at that time to be visiting Mrs. Birmingham's sister in Bath. However, there should be some notable additions – several university friends of Edmund Benson would be joining them from London, for example, which should balance well the number of unmarried ladies; and, most surprising of all, the honourable Lady Catherine de Bourgh, freshly reconciled with her nephew, should put in an appearance, with her first visit to Pemberley since his marriage, and in the company of her dour, yet-unwed daughter, Miss Anne de Bourgh; as well as of the humbly patronized Mr. and Mrs. Collins.

Out of all her guests, Lizzy looked forward most to being reunited with her dear friend Charlotte, whom she had not had chance to see since her own marriage to Darcy. On being reunited with her cousin, Mr. Collins, the anticipation was certainly less favourable; and with Lady Catherine, least favourable of all. It was Lizzy's understanding that Darcy's harsh penned rebuttal and lack of subsequent communication had thawed Lady Catherine's reserve – to the point that a letter was at length elicited from her, which was as close to an act of contrition as a noble lady of her stature might ever be expected to stoop; therefore, for the sake of decorum, and of Darcy's well-being, Elizabeth was prepared to welcome her to her home; and perhaps, too, to derive some satisfaction, in that Pemberley was her home, and that Lady Catherine and her daughter should be guests there – and the stark contrast this arrangement provided, to the matrimonial future which Lady Catherine had so vehemently envisioned for Darcy and her own daughter.

Georgiana was quite aquiver at the dance's prospect; for it should be the very first she had had chance to attend; and, there was a necessary excitement which attended the ritual and pomp of any dance, due to the dress, the decorations, the unusual circumstance; and in the weeks preceding, she could hardly speak of anything else, so that Mary, being these days her most frequent walking companion, was not of need to search out topics for conversation, with a constant and unyielding stream being thus readily supplied.

"I do so envy you, Mary!" Georgiana declared unexpectedly one afternoon, as they were strolling through their avenue of lindens. "You are at a great advantage, in that you have already attended many dances, and are therefore well-versed in their customs and expectations, while all the knowledge I have thus far has been gleaned from novels and the reports of others."

Mary was as much surprised as amused, to at last find herself an object of envy for Georgiana, at this rare instance where she could be said to hold an advantage over her friend, and it being in an area, moreover, which was by its nature of little interest or personal satisfaction to herself.