Chapter 11: The Lion and the Mouse

A/N: Big thanks to any and everyone who is reading! Reviews are always greatly appreciated :D

Hope you guys enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~

It was not, in fact, to be Mary's fate that day to wander the grounds whilst lost in poignant and poetic contemplation, for even if she had determined to not come upon Georgiana, it was not in her power to determine if Georgiana came upon her – and indeed, it could be no surprise that Georgiana did, for she had been walking rather listlessly up and down the alley near Pemberley, wondering if Mary should mind being disturbed from her reading for a short walk – but here was a fine surprise, Mary had come to join her herself!

Georgiana therefore caught up to her directly, with much enthusiasm and pleasure, and began earnest conversation with her on tomorrow's dinner party, what they should be wearing, to whom Mary should be introduced, how she had selected a piece specially for any performance which might be solicited from her.

Mary did not mind this chatter – in a way, it still allowed her to have moments of reflection, while also providing interludes of distraction. Georgiana convinced her to walk down to Lambton together, to peruse the shop windows for pretty new bonnets or shawls, and to purchase some sweets from the local shop, as they had indeed done before. It was, undoubtedly, the sort of thing that should have grated on Mary, and displeased her with its frivolity; but in all of her brief friendship with Georgiana, she had found that it was very hard to be displeased with her – and then, she had also found that it was not so disagreeable after all, to walk around the village, and to take break from her contemplation, for a bit of light diversion – at times, it even seemed to clear her head, and lend her thoughts with a new direction and vigor.

To Lambton thus they went, Mary being periodically coaxed out of her revery to put forth remark on this or that, or to make the odd inquiry on some subject. When they at last reached Lambton, they slowed their walk and began to amble leisurely through the streets, peering into the windows of the shops as they went. At the milliner's they stopped for some time, and surveyed the various articles displayed. Mary had only just found herself drawn to a cashmere shawl of a delicate grey, which featured border designs of vines and pale pink roses, and had stepped forward to examine it closer, when unexpectedly, they heard, "Georgiana! Miss Bennet! What a wonderful surprise indeed!" in Emma Benson's clear, lilting voice.

They turned to see the Benson sisters, draped on either arm of a tall gentleman, who was dressed in fine clothes which shared the ostentation and pretension of his sisters' – for this, Mary could only presume, was their brother Mr. Edmund Benson. Even if the similarity of their features had not betrayed their relation, the identical air of vanity and condescending charm should have revealed it accordingly. He was as handsome as his sisters were beautiful, and smiled most charmingly at her and Georgiana as the three of them approached.

Georgiana, who stood next to Mary, had flushed terribly, and her brow furrowed in distress, but indeed, there was no possible chance of avoidance.

"Edmund, this is Miss Mary Bennet, the sister of Mrs. Darcy," Emma spoke. "Miss Bennet, may I introduce our brother, Mr. Edmund Benson."

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Bennet. And if it isn't little Georgiana, our small, meek mouse of Derbyshire?"

Georgiana seemed incapable of response, and only curtsied stiffly in greeting, her eyes fixed stolidly on the ground in front of her.

But Mary did not find herself so fettered. "And I suppose you mean to think of yourself as the fierce, stalking lion, as the fable goes."

Mr. Benson's handsome countenance lost its composure a moment, and behind his charming smile there now sat a displeasure, ill-concealed and impatient. "I am not certain what you mean, Miss Bennet," he said. "Friends, such as Miss Darcy and I are, might take the liberty of teasing each other – it is not so welcome, however, from the field of wholly new acquaintances."