Chapter 21 - Angela

The trip to the Winchester country estate was long and monotonous, a perfect opportunity to sleep, and that is exactly what Angie did. Her brothers made sure that she was comfortable, surrounded by cushions and warm throws, with a hearty supply of food and drink should they be needed along the way.

She was certain that she would be unable to relax, given that she was nervous for Derrick and still reeling from the encounter with Sarah. No one was more surprised than she when her eyes closed after only an hour in the carriage, and she only awoke to the racket of the horses' hooves on the stones at the front of the estate house.

They had set out in the early morning, wanting to use the daylight to reach the estate with the greatest speed, and they arrived in late afternoon, having made great time over unseasonable dry roads. There were thickening clouds overhead that warned a storm would soon disrupt any travel, and the horses needed a rest. Whatever awaited them at the estate, they would not be leaving until at least the next day.

In the dimming light, the estate had an air of stately decay. Its exterior appeared sound under the peeling white paint, but the decorative bushes were overgrown, and a few were little more than a bundle of brown twigs, sprouting up from the overabundant greenery like the last bits of natural hair on an elderly man's balding pate. Most of the stones of the drive where the carriage had stopped were intact, but there were more than a few divots where stones were missing. All of this gave the house the appearance of having been abandoned more than a few years ago.

Angie knew that the horses would need to be tended, but now that they had finally arrived at their destination, she was eager to get inside and commence searching for the cellar, where she hoped to find Derrick. She shifted impatiently waiting for her brothers to check the entrance for danger and ease of entry. It seemed that they were taking hours, though she knew it was likely only a few minutes. She had just resolved to try to get out of the carriage on her own when the door opened, and Robert slipped inside with a grim smile.

"This appears to be the right place. There is a plaque near the front door identifying this as the Winchester home, and it matched the general description I heard in town. We can easily enter, as it appears that someone recently broke in through the servant's entrance at the back. I sent Theo in to check the house for rogues and to open the front door from the inside. Come, sister; I will assist you out, so we can search for your husband."

It was short work to get her feet firmly settled onto the stone walkway to the house's front entrance. By the time they reached the door, it swung inward, and Theo's tense face appeared, illuminated only by the light of a lantern they had brought from home. He stepped forward to offer her his arm in addition to Robert's after closing the door behind them, and he led them into the dark maze of the decaying manor.

In short order, they arrived in the kitchen, where every surface was deeply coated in dust, save a path across the bare wooden floor leading to a heavy door fitted with a handle and a well made lock. At this evidence of recent passage, Angie could contain herself no longer, and ignoring all thoughts of her own health, she threw herself forward, nearly dragging her brothers behind her to the door. She released her grip on their arms and pulled on the handle of the door, nearly losing her balance in the process, but the door did not budge.

Theo cursed a little under his breath, and for once, Angie ignored the use of language. She would be using some of those words herself right now if she were not occupied in studying all she could see in the circle of light afforded by the lantern. She hoped that the scoundrels that had kidnapped Derrick and left him locked in the cellar had not taken the key with them, knowing that their employer would be coming to retrieve their captive. But where was it? Had they missed it in the dark as they traipsed through the house?