16~Lord God we need you

Janessa pulled back the curtain and peeked out. "It's been too long."

Dean paced the small but clean cabin. "Don't worry, baby, you know Colton. He's probably taking forever to choose the right shampoo."

Leo nodded, silently agreeing with Dean but Grace knew something was wrong. She'd have known even if she didn't feel the tension radiating from Leo. Lord God, we need you. Protect Mark, Rose, Colton, and Peter. Bring them back to safety. Thank you.

When Grace opened her eyes, she found all three of them watching. "It's ok if you pray out loud," Janessa said, her cheeks pinkening. "Sorry, I didn't mean you needed permission."

"It's ok. I understand."

"Good." Janessa exhaled a sigh of relief. "Explain it to me then."

Grace smiled. "I wasn't trying to hide my prayer."

"You just didn't want to make us uncomfortable. You're not overbearing. I like that about you." Janessa's gaze flicked to Leo. "I think we all do."

"Yeah, we all like you, Grace. Some of us more than others," Dean drawled. "Just remember the two of you are supposed to be siblings."

She was careful not to look at Leo sure he'd be embarrassed, but Grace felt him watching. When she couldn't stand it another moment, she gave in to the nervous chatter. "This cabin works out well since we're surrounded by woods and no neighbors."

Janessa snorted a half-laugh. "Obviously you haven't watched many scary movies."

"No, I haven't."

"I'm not a fan either," Leo admitted, "But I do watch real crime stories and this could go either way for us."

"Let's hope the bad guys don't find us before we can get help." Janessa's voice trembled.

"Baby, you are looking at the help." Dean's southern accent was even thicker than usual. He threw a reluctant glance at Leo. "If the bad guys show up, Wilder and I can take 'em. Don't you worry."

Janessa's hand covered his heart. "I wasn't worried," she whispered as the two shared a moment.

Leo cleared his throat. "I'm walking back to the entrance. Maybe they're here now."

"You need backup?" Grace asked, her eyes bright. "I mean I don't mind walking with you."

"She means she'd love to go with you, Leo." Janessa beamed.

"Behave yourselves kids," Dean called, amused.

Leo nodded and they left, the screen door slapping shut behind them leaving Janessa and Dean alone.

Sitting in a wooden chair, Janessa listened to the calming hum of the window unit air conditioner. She'd showered and felt clean. Surprisingly, her stomach rumbled a hungry plea.

Dean pushed back the drapery and glanced outside. He was on edge she could tell, and he couldn't seem to be still. At first, she thought he might be afraid they'd be discovered, but she was beginning to think he was nervous to be around her.

His gaze scanned the big room which served as a bedroom, kitchen, and living area. There were three rooms in all and one bathroom. He ran his hand over his jaw and through his hair, the muscles in his bicep bunching.

Dean's attention settled on her. "How are you feeling?"

"Better after the shower."

"Baby, I'm just gonna ask and I hope you'll tell me the truth. Are you sick?" His expression was a mask of worry. "I mean more than a stomach bug."