34~Do not fear for I am with you

"It's the girl from the reception desk," Leo said quietly, checking the peephole while the rest of the gang waited quietly behind him.

A few sighs of relief and Colton's asked, "She hot?"

Dean smacked him on the back of the head. "What is wrong with you?"

"Ow! It was an honest question. I'm a guy."

Peter clapped his hand on Colton's shoulder. "We need to get in the bedroom and let Leo and Grace talk to her."

"Just me. I got this." Leo turned to Grace, and a worry line formed between her delicate eyebrows. "Go with them," he urged.

Seeing the exchange, Dean tensed. "You think something's wrong?"

"No," Leo said slowly. "But I don't want to take chances."

"And I'm not hiding in the bedroom if you need backup." Dean straightened his shoulders, readying himself for battle.

"Wait. I'm missing something." Mark frowned. "It's one girl at the door, right?"

Dean stalked to the peephole, peered outside, and turned around. "You think she's being held hostage?"

"I have no reason to think that," Leo answered carefully.

Mark sighed. "That's not a no."

"Oh, my, goodness," Rose whispered, folding her hands together. "This can't be happening."

"She seems stressed. It's probably nothing, but considering..." Leo waved his hand.

"We get it," Janessa said.

Dean checked again. "Yeah, she is glancing around nervously. Oh, no, she's taking out the key."

"Bedroom now!" Mark hissed in a low voice.

The doorknob rattled and Leo opened the door, stepping outside and saw her eyes widen. "Might be contagious in there. Don't want you to catch anything."

Her gaze darted to the door. "Your mom is still sick?"

"Yeah, and my dad too. Must be some bug going around."

"What about your sister?"

"She's checking on them."

"I'm sorry about your parents. My family will continue to pray for yours." She smiled and it reached her eyes. "Jesus works miracles."

"Thank you." A pang of guilt struck Leo, but he pushed it aside. "I believe He can, and we need all the prayers we can get."

She glanced over her shoulder again. "I'm afraid I have some bad news. It's why I'm here." Glancing down, she sucked in a trembling breath and continued. "My family and I are speaking with each of the guests to reassure them The Yonder Star is a safe place for family. Since I checked you in, I'm here to talk to you, and pray if you'd like."

"Maybe you should tell me what's going on first," he said quietly.

"Oh, right! Yes, of course, I'm sorry. Your cabin neighbor's little boy was poisoned—he's going to be ok," she quickly added. "The poison came from some dinosaur tattoos, but the parents said didn't buy them. The boy said he found the tattoos on his bed."

Leo went still, every muscle humming with leashed energy. His senses switched to hyperalert, and he noticed every detail as he scanned the path to Harry and Alice's cabin.

When his gaze returned to her she was still apologizing. "...and we would never leave anything that wasn't safe for our guests, but we will understand if you choose to leave and, of course, we will give you a full refund."