Chapter 17 - Feather Blade Vs Lost Magic

Before I could even blink…Totomaru materialized right in between the sword strike and me, blocking it with his own blade with an echoing clang loud enough to make me jump. He was on his knee as the armor pushed down upon his block.

"T…Totomaru," I said.

"Eve, get to Nicholas right now," the Fire wizard said without even turning around.

I blinked at his back, confusion seeping through me.

"W…what, but I can fight," I said.

"I know you can," he said without turning around, "But we need to find Nicholas and make him tell us what is truly going on here. I'll hold them off here so you can go ahead."

He pushed the armor back with a grunt and the large walking metal slid back but for only a little. I got back up upon my feet looking at the young man's back in front of me.

"A…Are you sure you'll be okay?"

He let out a scoff.

"I've got enough magic energy to last all night long against these walking tin cans," Totomaru answered, "You just worry about finding Nicholas alright."

I nodded.

"Okay, but you be careful alright."

"Just go," Totomaru told me.

Then I was running off, leaving him standing there to fight those walking armors. I tightened my hands and looked back hearing a sudden boom and large blast of fires appearing in the distance. Even thought he hadn't said it outright, I knew that he felt like I was a burden to him.

Even thought I had my magic ability, I couldn't do a thing to neither help nor fix the situation. I was completely helpless. But I shook my head, clearing it of the uneasiness that was starting to creep in. While I may not be able to fight outright, I can still do something to help and I'll be damned if I don't try anything before giving up.

I reached another large wooden door, throwing it open finding myself standing in a large circular room filled with paintings on the walls. I walked forward glancing around myself searching for a sight of life but there was no one here…at least, no one that I could see.

"Old man Nicholas," I called out, "Anyone here?"

Only silence answered me as I glanced around myself.

"Old man Nicholas," I called out again.

Just where did he go?

Then I heard footsteps, walking footsteps coming closer and I turned toward it. The stairs that were empty a second ago had now a person standing at the top of it. That person was someone familiar and I feel relief course through me.

"Old man Nicholas," I said walking toward him, "There is something really weird going on in the Museum. I don't think they ever were thieves attacking this place…the museum artifacts are moving around and somekind of barrier is keeping us locked inside this building, help us figure it out?"

Then the man chuckled.

"Why should I?" he said, "After all, I am the one doing it."

I frowned to myself wondering what the hell he was talking about when the man removed the hat he was wearing, the hat that had kept his face into the shadows. I feel myself stepping back in surprise. The man above the stairs was young…probably in his early twenties with his dark hair falling from behind his face, a small smirk crossing his features. I knew the face I was staring at…it was Nicholas…but younger…much younger than the old man that I had met earlier.