Because You Are

Becky and Anya ate in the busy cafeteria, the classes from that morning still bearing heavily on them.

While Anya quietly chewed and gazed at the clumping rice on her plate, her mind wandered off to how her birthday went yesterday.

~~~~~

Knock, knock, knock.

"Anya, it's time for breakfast," Loid said, his shadow and voice creeping between the door's narrow opening.

Anya lazily moved her limbs, the strands of her messy pink hair sticking on her cheek. She was still about to emerge from her slumber.

"Coming... Papwaaaa..." she yawned.

"Okay, don't make the food wait too long," Loid said, smiling, before gently shutting the door.

Anya sat on her bed and slipped each of her tiny foot into the wrong slippers. She dragged Agent Penguin by his flipper with half-shut eyes to the dining room when she suddenly heard two loud popping sounds.

"Happy birthday, Anya!"

Colorful confetti floated around Anya while her parents held now-empty cone-like popping things she still remembers from the time she got accepted at Eden.

'Today is my birthday?' She looked at the calendar on the wall. Indeed, it was the date Loid made her memorize for the family interview.

Anya stretched her arms and tried to catch some of the fluttering little sheets into her palms before hugging her father and mother.

"Thank you, Papa, Mama!"

Afterwards, they ate the breakfast Loid prepared for them and planned their day together.

"Anya wants to play with toys and then watch Spy Wars," Anya said.

"That sounds nice, Anya!" Yor told her.

"Hmmm..."

Anya and Yor turned to Loid, his face seemingly reluctant to Anya's proposal.

"Is there a problem, Loid?" Yor asked.

"Ah, nothing in particular," Loid replied. He then spoke to Anya.

"Are you sure you don't want to do anything different today?"

"Oh, yes, Anya! Birthdays are special occasions after all," Yor said after her husband.

"Anya's birthday is special?" Anya looked at them with innocent eyes. It certainly is just another day for her. It always has been ordinary.

Yor looked at her daughter.

"Of course, Anya! Try to remember your last birthday. What was that special thing you did with Loid back then?"

Loid almost choked at the question, good thing Yor wasn't looking in his direction.

"The old man never celebrated our birthday in the orph—"

"Orchard, Anya, that's how you pronounce it," Loid swiftly interrupted. "Your grandfather meant well for bringing you there on your birthday — it's a unique way to celebrate. Remember those apples he gave you to keep you healthy?" Loid continued with a smile.

Anya's hands flew to her mouth. "T-That's right! Grandpa, Papa, and Anya in the orchard! Apples for healthy Anya! " she corrected herself after realizing she made a slip.

"It sounds like he's a caring grandfather!" Yor told her daughter.

"Y-Yes, mama!" Anya let out a nervous chuckle. She glanced at her father who calmly took a bite of his food. Another victorious story-making!