Chapter Sixteen

Lunch was delicious, per usual.

I'm still thrown off by Drea closing in on herself. It wouldn't have hurt me so much if it wasn't so obvious that David knew what was going in. I don't like whatever duo they're forming.

My fear of being the odd one out grows stronger with each mention of Drea and David's adventures.

I briefly wonder if that makes me a selfish friend.

I refuse to let it gnaw at me longer than necessary. But how long is necessary? Because it's still eating away at my confidence. Something simple like this is enough to send my brain into a flurry of thought.

On whether I'm still even wanted in the friendship.

On how they view me.

On if I did something to make Drea close me out so easily.

At this point, my train of thinking is turning into a pity party, so I put an end to it and push my forgotten cup with the other dirty dishes.

Our plates sit empty, stacked at the edge of the table while we all finish our conversation.

The two hours are up sooner than I like, but nonetheless, I say my goodbyes to Drea and David and climb into dad's car.

I think he's been sitting out there for over 20 minutes, but I made myself oblivious to his presence.

I deserve every minute of my two hours.

A twinge of guilt still kicks my gut when I climb into the warm car and dad's face lacks his usual enthusiasm.

"How was it, kiddo?" He asks as soon as I settle in my seat.

"It was good. I didn't realize how much I missed them." My seat belt clicks and I turn to face an uneasy looking dad. "What's wrong?"

My question is met with conflicted eyes.

"It's not important right now. Something to concern ourselves with later. For now, let's go over what we'll be talking with the principal about." His voice sounds casual, as if to dismiss my question.

I'm uncomfortable by the fact that he's already hiding something from me and we're only on day one. But my mind refocuses on our looming adventure to the school.

Something I wasn't looking forward to as much as I had before.

I'm hesitant, but I shift back to look at Joe's as we pull out of the parking lot. "Okay, what're we talking about then?"

"I'm going to assume he's wanting to explain to you the ropes of online school." He says, and I side eye him to make sure he's not being a smart ass. Not a hint of sarcasm.

I blow out a small breath and lean further into the seat without replying. My anxiety grows as I think of what to do if I catch sight of Mr. Halloway. Or worse, if he catches sight of me.

My heart rate spikes, beating heavy in my chest. My nerves get the best of me as I wipe a sweaty palm against my leg.

The familiar building comes sooner that I'd like.

"Right on time." Dad grins reassuringly and turns into a parking spot.

I take my time getting out of the car, rubbing my arms at the prickly weather. I'd only worn a long sleeve shirt, however, this weather calls for a coat. I don't have much time to shiver before dad's door closes and he's on the move.

He takes the lead to the front doors.

The office is warm and welcoming, the lights soft and atmosphere calm. I've never minded being sent to the office, as it's sofa chairs are cozy and the smell of vanilla is an immediate relaxer.