Chapter 7: Singing in the Rain

You wobble over to a table and sit down while he makes his tea. The silence is awkward to you, but Levi would rather it be this way.

"What even is moonshine anyway?" You blurt out, not being able to take the quiet anymore. He slowly turns around, his ice cold gaze meeting your curious ones. Until he lets out a disgusted grunt and turns back around to his tea.

You rant begins
"Honestly, I needed it. Yeah, after that battle in Trost, I needed a fucking drink. But I get it! You're humanity's strongest solider, I'm not! I'm a damn good soldier, but also a brand new one. I mean, most of the cadets were pissing their pants that day, some even shitting! Do you know what it's like to fly past your comrades, half their body sticking out of a titans mouth, with their shit stains being their last sight to this world?!"

He quickly finishes packing up his things and heads out the back door again, which is facing the stables. Where is he going? You get up to peer out the window and watch him tack up his horse to leave. Whatever.

~Next morning~

Your body is killing you, but you force yourself into the showers and force breakfast down your throat. Today, you will be prioritizing you and your health. You don't see Captain Levi in the Mess Hall but finally catch up with Eren! You've heard from your friends that after the trial, he was sent to the former scout HQ to train with the Levi Squad. You spot Eren with Mikasa and Armin, and wrap him into a big hug. He tells you about his adventures so far, all about how Levi is a clean freak, and how Hange is going to start experimenting with his Titan abilities. This news bring you genuine joy, but it's soon replaced with sadness when he begins to speak about having to go back and stay there for the next week, missing tomorrows celebration. Armin tries telling him to convince the Captain to return, just for the night but Eren seems afraid of him. He goes to introduce you the rest of the Levi Squad but was confused when they knew you already. You didn't formally introduce yourself to Orou and Gunther, but now that you're all acquainted, the group sits at a table together. Eld finds his way next to you, but when he lightly brushes your injured thigh, you flinch.

"Im sorry, (y/n), are you okay?"

You explain to him what happened, leaving out the details of Hange and Levi, but ended your story with
"However, I may or may not have depleted my personal stash of moonshine." You tease

"That's some strong stuff, how are you functioning right now?" He chuckled

"Don't let the Captain overhear that, (y/n). But also, let me know next time you have more" Gunther playfully adds

"Wait, why can't the captain know?" You ask

"Moonshine is illegal, (y/n)." Orou replied

"Ha! The captain doesn't give two shits about what's legal and what isn't. He just hates drunk people." Gunther shoots back

Petra smiled and softly added "Word is, before he was in the Scouts, he was a big time criminal in the underground. But those are just rumors."

Did she just say the underground? So it is a real place. Eld has been paying special attention to you so he noticed when you got lost in thought, so he said

"Hey, if I killed 8 titans in my first battle, I'd get me some moonshine too. Hell, most rookies piss their pants their first encounter with a Titan." He glanced towards Orou and Petra, who looked mortified and quickly turned to anger. The conversation playfully continued until breakfast was over and the Levi Squad had to return to the former scout HQ. You waved them goodbye but Eld went out of his way to give you a hug.

"Lay off the moonshine, (y/n), at least until I come back."

You have to write Noah and tell him what you knew, but it was time to head to your lectures. You learned about Erwin's scouting formation and the roles of each position, along with smoke signals and how they're used. You're dismissed and head to the lockers to gear up when the Commander himself stops you before you reach the door.