Chapter 21: In the Walls

"Have you ever had jasmine tea?"

"Jasmine tea?" Levi asked.

"Oh wow, one day, you've got to try it. It's... sweet and floral. It smells stronger than it tastes but it's lovely."

"Jasmine, as in the flower?"

"Yes, they add real jasmine petals to it, it's sweetness works really well with the fresh and earthy flavor of green tea."

"Thats interesting... I've never had green tea."

You stop in your tracks.
"You're kidding, right?"

"No." His voice changes subtly. You hadn't even noticed that he was speaking much softer before.

"Im going to get you some, I've got to make it for you. Have you ever had chai?"

"I haven't."

You try your hardest to not sound shocked and make him retreat. The man sticks to what he knows he likes, it's just who he is. If Levi is really from the underground, he wouldn't have access to these herbs... and if he went straight to the Scouts from there, it's unlikely that it'd be available for him.

"So chai is.. its tea, but it's spicy." You giggle. "Like ginger and cinnamon. You'd like it a lot. It warms you up in the winter time, and not just because of its temperature. I'm convinced that it's good for the soul."

"I typically don't add anything to my tea, occasionally the juice of a lemon."

"You don't make the tea and then add it, it's mixed before it's brewed, a beautiful creation."

"Hmm, interesting."

You begin to hear your friends as you near the bonfire. Bursts of laughter and conversation grow louder and louder with each step, you constantly look over to Levi to make sure he's still behind you and notice him slowing his pace, so you turn to him and pause.

"You're not going to just leave me here, right?"

"I said I'd take you, I kept my word."

You step close to him.
"You're already right here. Everyone wants to see you, come have a drink with us."
You smile at him, trying your best to sway him to join you all. He reaches up to grab the top of your head and give you a gentle pat as he steps ahead of you, walking towards the fire. Twigs snap at the sounds of you both approaching and everyone grows quiet until Levi's face appears from the pathway.

"LEVIIII! You're here! Where have you been? Your about to miss everything!!!" Hange jumps up and down as Reiner takes out the cake he had from earlier.
You step towards Gwen and give her a big hug, whispering in her ear

"That's captain Levi, don't be scared."

She makes a confused face as you let her go and peers over to him, and faces back to you stifling her giggles.

"He looks so annoyed."

"It's just the way he is." You smile at her.

Reiner walks around to the two of you and everyone starts singing Happy Birthday to Gwen. She hates that, but you burst out in laughter at her embarrassment. After you cheer for Gwen you return to Levi where Hange is chatting with Miche and the others.

"Come, let me introduce you to Gwen."
You lead him towards your friend who is happily standing besides Reiner as he cuts the cake for her.

"Gwen, this is Captain Levi."

"Sir, Gwen Meyer of the Garrison." She salutes him, although rather drunkenly, but he doesn't seem to mind.