Chapter 8

"Are you sure about this?" Amanda asked for the tenth time, or maybe it was the ninth. Evan had lost count as he was focusing on keeping his balance as he walked with Amanda holding onto his arms, leading the way down the long street that cut through the woods toward the center of town where mainly only humans lived. That's where all the businesses were, including the optometrist who could give Evan a temporary pair of glasses until he could order a proper pair or his contacts arrived in the mail. "They're not going to be happy when they find you gone," Amanda said for the twelfth time, Evan letting his head drop back and he groaned.

"Am, we're only going to grab me some glasses and then coming right back. It's not that big of a deal."

That was a lie and Evan knew it, though he was trying to deny it. In fact, he was trying to deny last nights events altogether as a funny dream or a prank that Amanda was playing on him which he didn't find very funny at all. What scared him the most? Amanda wasn't the type to make this kind of joke which could only mean this had to be real. It meant it was all real but that was impossible, wasn't it? Even as it felt like there was a heavy pit at the bottom of his stomach, getting increasingly bigger the further they got from the pack house and further from... certain people. People who couldn't possibly care about him at all! They probably didn't even know he existed before yesterday. Why would they care if he went out to get some glasses or not?

"Evan, we've been taught since we were kids how important our mates are and how protective we can be over them, even over the most trivial things. We Omega's can be very clingy to our mates but Alpha's are even worse and can be very possessive. If it weren't for the fact that your basically blind right now, I wouldn't even be touching you," Amanda said, her hands that were holding Evan's pretty wet and clammy. She was walking a little ahead of him guiding him forward, gently pulling on his hands to move him when need be like around a large rock or a root sticking out of the ground that could trip Evan. Other than that, she wouldn't even brush shoulders with him!

"It doesn't matter. They wouldn't care! And I refuse to acknowledge the truth of your words until I see it with my own eyes so please pick a new subject to talk about!" Evan said, only realizing after that he had been yelling there at the end. "Sorry. I-I just..."

"Evan, I know you," Amanda said seriously, not sounding hurt at all. In fact, she didn't even seem surprised by his outburst. "You like to bottle things up and figure things out yourself even when your struggling with something major. You don't ask anyone for help, insisting you can do it yourself, until it explodes and even then, you try to clean it up yourself," Amanda said, squeezing Evan's hands in hers until they both stopped walking. Evan looked down at the ground, not wanting to look her in the eyes even if he himself couldn't see anything. If he looked at her, she'd see what he was thinking even if he tried to hide it from her. "I love you Evan. You're the brother I never had and I will always be here for you just like I'd know you'd go to any length to help me even if I said I didn't want or need it," Amanda said with a giggle, Evan unable to help but smile in response. "It's okay. You can talk to me. There's no one around to hear. Safe space," Amanda said, swinging Evan's arms around which made him laugh.

Exactly five minutes later...

"How the hell did this happen!? Was the Moon Goddess drunk? Did she make a mistake or something? We're not supposed to question the goddesses decision, I know this, but what in the world was she thinking!?" Evan ranted, Amanda trying her hardest not to laugh as they continued to walk down the road toward town. "It's very clear why she put Quinton and Damien together. You could tell they were made for one another, even when they were just kids. You saw how happy they were when they came of age realizing they truly are soulmates but who's come between them? Who became this big fat wedge between Quinton and Damien forever?" Evan vented so quickly and heavily that he needed to take a moment to breathe giving the struggling Amanda, still trying not to laugh, the chance to cut in.