Chapter 9

"See the love wey I get for you, pass any money
Pass any money
She tell me na me way dey make dey happy dey soji o
Woah-woah, woah, woah
Any amount for my babe, I'ma run it, I'ma run it up
No love wey pass this kind of mine so
O moge mi, gyal I'm tempted to touch
'Til the mornin' make I know."
Wizkid ft. Skepta "Longtime"

Nicole

"Damn, I'm thirsty as f*ck." The saltiness of potato chips can make you parched real quick. Adding peanut butter to the mix just makes it worst. I don't even feel like getting up to go to the kitchen to get something to drink. Ever since Kyle left the house two hours ago, I've been stuck on this couch.

So, we went on the trip to visit his hometown and it was amazing. I won't lie, I was a little scared of meeting his Mom in person because as much as she swore she loved me over the phone, her impression of me could have changed once she saw me. Fortunately for me, she adored me and pampered me the whole thing. She wouldn't let me lift a finger.

Kyle had built this huge mansion for her in Banana Island and she has staff working at the house, including a gateman, cook, and house cleaner. She also is a landlady of two duplexes a couple of streets away. Momma is living the good life. I mean, despite the fact that she's losing her only son to cancer.

Let me stop before I start crying again.

I enjoyed my time there. It's a beautiful country from the natural terrain, the people, the food, and the music. I ate so much. I was already exposed to so many dishes because Kyle would always cook them for me at home because something about eating them in Nigeria felt different and tasted even more delicious. I loved visiting the market at night to enjoy food from the street vendors and walking all the shore with Kyle under the moonlight.

His Mom sat down with the two of us after everybody else had gone to bed. She wanted to apologize for what Kyle did. She really thought he had told me about his illness at the beginning of our relationship. She was really upset when she found out he had hidden it from me for so long.

Kyle has gotten sicker ever since we came back from our two-week trip, but he's still doing his thing and the public has no idea. He doesn't want his legacy to be about his illness, but about the contributions he has made to the art world and the many people he has inspired to follow their dreams and be creative.

Today is finally the unveiling of his final exhibit. While he was getting things ready with the venue and planning everything, he locked the door to his art studio so I wouldn't get a peek at any of the pieces. Chile, sometimes I found myself staring at that door like my piercing eyes could burn through it and look at the works of art. Well, in just a few hours I will finally lay my eyes on them.

He and his crew left at 12 and it is now 2:14. The event is starting at 5 o'clock sharp. Kyle does not play about being on time. If you don't call that you're running late, the door will be closed and he will start without you.

When Kyle announced that this was his last exhibit, the news spread like wildfire because everybody wanted to know why but he made no comment. I already know it's going to be so crowded with industry people.

I heard keys jingling at the front door. Oh no, did Kyle forget something? I sat up as the door was pushed open. I rolled my eyes and laid my *ss back down on the couch when I saw it was Tae and Tucson.

"I know Nicole did not just roll those pretty brown eyes at us."

"I did and I will gladly do it again." They must fell and bumped their heads if they forgot what they did yesterday while we were at the warehouse.