III

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 | The prince

{ Lyra }

✧✦✧

𝕴t was the sound of swords clashing together that brought Lyra out onto the wooden walkways. She had spent most of the day in her room, reading a variety of books that were needed for her lessons, but when the boys started training, she went out to watch.

Pulling her cloak tighter around her, she leant against the wooden railing as she looked down into the centre. Jon was sitting on top of one of the fences, Theon by his side, as the pair watched the fight that was going on in the centre. Elia appeared beside her, lying down across the girl's feet as she turned her attention to the central fight.

Joffrey was facing off against Robb. The prince's face was still blank as he swung the sword at Robb's legs, before slicing upwards as if going for the man's throat. Robb jumped back, before bringing his own practice sword down near the prince's head. The blond man jumped out of the way in the nick of time, as Lyra felt another presence approach her.

Turning her head, Lyra watched her father come to a stop to the left of her. They both went back to watching the fight below, as Joffrey managed to get a hit on Robb's back.

"He fights well," Lyra hummed at her father's words, before turning her head as she continued to watch.

"Yes, he's better than Robb," Father nodded, before looking down at the mousy haired teen. "I'm to be betrothed to him, aren't I?"

Eddard sighed, running a weary hand down his face at his daughter's words.

"Yes," Lyra huffed, as her father hurried on. "If I had any other way around this for you to have more free choice, then I would use it. But the king has demanded that my eldest daughter and his eldest son should marry."

"You can't go against the king,"

"Aye, I can't," Her father rested a hand on her shoulder, squeezing it lightly. "You'll be queen?"

"I don't want that," He sighed, as the fight beneath them seemed to draw to a close. "But it's not like I will have much of a choice. I'll be alone in the South, won't I?"

"No," Her father chuckled. "I will be taking over as Robert's hand, which means that I shall be there with you, as will your sisters."

"Will I have to mediate between them?" Lyra looked up at her father, as he shook his head with a laugh. 

"You can ride with me on the way down," Lyra tilted her head back as she thanked the gods above for allowing her that luxury. "Maybe you and he should have a talk? If you do, I won't tell your mother about Elia being in the castle."