Chapter 19

I could hear Thibault and Lady- I mean Ettie- bickering as I walked away. The night was warm and I walked through it in a haze. Lady Claudette Rosseau, what am I going to do with you?  

My daydreams were shattered as I opened the door to the ballroom, bright light and sound encompassing me. The guest's shrill chortling shrieked over the dull music playing on repeat. Once I shut the door behind me everyone there was alerted to my presence. Thousands of keen eyes darted to me,  judging me, pondering me, wanting me for their schemes. I could see my father waiting at his throne, aunt by his side along with a blonde woman I vaguely recognized. As I made my way over I wished I had not sent Thibault away. He was loud and immature, but he took attention away from me, and he was the only one I trusted to take my side.       

"Look at our birthday prince!" My aunt met me at the steps to the throne. A large smile decorated her face as she ruffled my hair. I could hear the courtiers whisper, they were sure she was insane, but if they wanted to marry their daughters to me she had to approve it. I gently swiped her hand away, if she was saddened by this I did not care, she had to learn. 

I hated bowing to my father, but it was customary. A quick one would suffice but if it was under 5 seconds he would be upset. I know he counts. And so do I. 

"Why is no one dancing?" His voice was gruff, and although it was spoken softly, his words echoed across the room. Quickly the nobles turned back to their dancing, and the screeching continued. Father gave a quick chuckle though it seemed to catch in his lung and turn into a cough halfway. The blonde woman offered him a handkerchief but he brushed her aside. 

"You called for me, Father?"  The word was poison on my tongue. 

"I heard you had opened an investigation on the duke." 

"Yes, I have."

"Oh dear, is this about his stolen diamond?" sang my aunt. 

"What have you found?" 

"I am still collecting evidence." 

"I hope it is nothing too serious," she murmured to herself. 

"What have you found?" His hand tightened on the throne, blank face watching mine. 

"I-" 

"My niece was helping the prince, was she not? She told me she had already figured it out, if you need help from the D'aureville family we are always-" interrupted the blonde woman. 

"What have you found?" 

 "Money has been diverted from the sugar farms to the Ameria mines, our money to be exact. The mines have been practically empty for a year now, Belmont has been keeping the money for his own personal use. I have looked into his accounts myself, he didn't even bother to hide it. "

I could see my father's gaze shift from me to the people on the dance floor. I turned and we watched Belmont move in between conversations, leering at the ladies and jeering the men. He was old, sad, and gross. I will never understand why we tolerate the presence of men like that. How much money did he pay the royal family to keep inviting him to these events?

I turned to see the blonde woman staring at me, eyes wide, trying to tell me something. D'aureville did she say? Could she possibly be-? Emilee D'aureville the woman my dear father betrayed my mother for. As she lay dying on the birthing bed this was the woman he spent her last hours with. I had always imagined her to be prettier, her face was cloudy in my memories from before she was sent away. Instead of some beautiful seductress the woman in front of me was ... human.    

Her eyes bulged again and she mouthed something. Her niece?

"Lady Claudette Rosseau was the one who helped me in my investigation!" The words came out faster than I could think of them. Father turned his attention back to me, eyebrow raised. Calm yourself, Julian, now is not the time. "Lady Claudette Rosseau was the one to inform me that something suspicious was going on. After the diamond debacle, she knew something was wrong since she has an interest in geology."