Chapter 16: I Lost You Once

Optimus couldn't help but pace back and forth outside of the med bay, where Ratchet and Nurse Darby were operating on Firefly. Agent Fowler was supposedly helping as well, but Optimus wouldn't know. Ratchet had kicked him out.

His processor felt like it was going to overload. How was Firefly here? He watched her get blown up right outside of the open spacebridge. He watched her die.

And yet, the very same day that they had taken down Darkmount, after returning to Starscream's ship to bring the groundbridge to their new base, Firefly had magically appeared outside. Bleeding out because her hand was gone, no less. The sword she brought looked to be the blade that did it, and it was different than her old one.

There was no point in jumping to conclusions. He was sure that Firefly would be fine. She's tough and Ratchet is a great medic. Optimus could just ask her once what happened once she was awake.

"Sir?"

Optimus turned around and looked at Ultra Magnus, who was frowning, per usual.

"Yes, Ultra Magnus?"

"We've successfully retrieved the groundbridge." He reported.

"Thank you for letting me know." Optimus nodded.

Magnus lingered, "If I may ask, sir, who is the lifeform that Wheeljack found outside?"

Optimus was quiet for a moment, "That is... Firefly. The Zentaric that arrived with Smokescreen."

"The one you said was dead?" Magnus narrowed his optics, "Have you considered that this may be a Decepticon trick?"

Optimus's spark skipped a beat. No. He hadn't. He'd been too hopeful that Firefly was the real Firefly, but Magnus's question was valid. She appeared under mysterious circumstances. They needed to be careful.

Optimus looked away from his second in command and back toward the doors, "Either way, we will be wary and welcoming. That is all, Ultra Magnus. Please return to the others."

Still frowning, Ultra Magnus turned his back to Optimus and left the room silently. He was replaced by Smokescreen, who was careful not to be noticed by the stern commander as he approached Optimus.

"Hey," Smokescreen waved a little, nervous, "everyone has been wondering... Is Firefly going to make it?"

The Prime slouched, "I cannot say for sure. Ratchet and Nurse Darby have not returned from their work, but I believe that Firefly is strong enough."

As if Primus had heard, the doors to the med bay swung open and Ratchet stepped through, Agent Fowler and June Darby in his hand. Smokescreen and Optimus quickly turned to face them.

"How is she?" Optimus asked.

"She's... not stable, yet, but there is nothing else we can do." June responded, "Her blood type isn't exactly common."

"Can we see her?" Smokescreen asked hopefully.

Ratchet frowned, "You're supposed to be with the others."

Smokescreen laughed nervously, "You won't tell Ultra Bossy that I gave him the slip, will you?"

"Smokescreen." Optimus looked at the younger Autobot sternly, "Go back."

Groaning, Smokescreen turned away and left. Ratchet waited until the rookie was gone before focusing on Optimus, whose gaze was on the door.

"Don't go in there," Ratchet warned, "the fluctuating temperatures are dangerous."

Optimus nodded, "Then we should go inspect the groundbridge for damage."

"You mean to tell me that they brought it to base without my supervision!?" Ratchet demanded, shoving the humans into Optimus's startled servos before running out of the room.