Chapter 66

Chapter 66

Arwen placed a steaming tea down on the table. Rhysand perked up from where he had held his head in his hand, looking between her and the mug. "Thank you," he said through a hoarse chuckle that told her he needed it as much as she assumed. She nodded and moved around him.

Cassian and Amren sat on the opposite side of the table, amidst an argument that Rhysand had drawn himself out of.

"Where's Azriel and Mor?" she asked, dragging a plate of sliced fruit across the table.

Rhysand rapped his knuckles against the wood. "Mor went to Hewn City this morning. Azriel... left too. To the mortal lands, I think."

"You think?" Arwen frowned and took the seat next to him. "You don't know where your spymaster is?"

After a long sip of his tea, her brother muttered, "He didn't deign to inform me. Went in the middle of the night and left a note."

Curious and concerning information. "What are you doing today?"

"I am going to pay Helion a visit. Feyre is coming with me," he said. "He's got some books that I want to have a look at."

"Books?" she echoed. "Don't you have other things to attend to?"

Rhysand looked into his cup. "No, it's important that I find them. If they exist."

Arwen remained seated in silence, her thoughts travelling far from Velaris.

~

A week passed and Rhysand's birthday rolled around. Arwen sat on the edge of her bed, dressed, and with the black box in hand. Azriel still had not returned. The morning sun welcomed her through her drapes, leaving honeyed marks along her floor. Soon Cassian was knocking on her door. The hem of her emerald dress swept between her sandal-clad feet.

Greeting Cassian with a smile, Arwen slipped her hand into his and they headed out to the balcony before taking flight over the city. Landing before the town house, Arwen made a small screech as he attempted to place her down on the snowy cobblestone road.

"Why the fuck would you wear those shoes in winter then?" he grumbled, exaggerating a grunt as he lifted her back up.

She hmphed. "Aesthetic."

Dumping her at the small step before the door and sending her a look of disbelief, he rapped on the front door. It was Mor that greeted them, dressed in a sweater and pants. Arwen smiled at her and entered first.

Rhysand stood in the common sitting room with Feyre under his arm, both smiling softly as they talked with Azriel who stood in front of them. Arwen paused on the threshold at the sight of him, her heart beating twice in one second. Leather still wrapped his toned body, the two siphons on either hand dull like they had been recently exhausted.

Heads didn't turn until Cassian trailed in behind her, his footsteps resounding. He immediately headed to Rhys, bringing him into a brotherly hug. Arwen remain on the threshold even as Mor passed her to drag Feyre away from the males and into a conversation. Looking down at the box, she fiddled with the silver ribbon, second-guessing her choice.

When Rhysand's voice died out, her eyes drew up. Cassian had turned to Azriel, their conversation falling quiet but civil. Rhysand sauntered across the sitting room and Arwen straightened. His lips moved into a soft smile, hands delving deep into the pockets of his pants as he twisted into the hallway. She turned with him.

He looked down at her hands. "You didn't have to get me anything."

"Do you not know me at all?" she sang quietly. Rhysand chuckled. Tightening her lips, she offered him the present while they were in the solitude of the empty hall. "Happy birthday, Rhys."