Chapter 105

Chapter 105

*Pls note, I have no memory of what the River House looks like*

Azriel landed at the front of the River House—a grand estate. Nothing short of a home for a High Lord and Lady. He tucked his wings to his back and knocked on the door. Rhys was quick to welcome him in but as Azriel entered the main foyer, Rhysand kept the door open and looked between the empty space and his brother.

"I thought Arwen was coming with you," he said.

"She's winnowing down," Azriel said, pulling himself away from examining the details of the room. His shadows went to work exploring as he looked at Rhys. "Nightmare. It was bad." The memory of waking to her thrashing about in the sheets flashed in his head. It had scared him, perhaps as much as whatever the nightmare was about, scared her. "She doesn't wish to be touched today." Not even by him to fly them across town. "She might walk here. The weather is nice."

"I'll let Feyre know," Rhysand said softly, sounding as though he was drifting in thought. "And Cassian, if he shows up. You don't sound happy either. Here I was hoping for a happy day, revealing the home I've been working on for weeks to my family."

"Sorry," Azriel muttered. "Wasn't the best morning." He made a gesture with his head to the large archway that led to the rest of the house, prompting his brother to lead on.

Rhysand smiled the whole way, and they met Feyre in the large sitting space which was open to the rest of the house. It had a large fireplace, tall windows on either side. Welcoming, but not homely like the town house was. Azriel was glad that they still considered the town house the place to meet together, even if it meant more disruptions to his living space.

He sat on the arm of a leather chair that had been dyed white, listening intently as Feyre pointed out all her choices of design. She hardly skipped a beat when another knock resounded through the house. Rhysand left, returning with Mor and Cassian at his heels, giving them the same tour as Azriel had just received. Mor had her head tipped back, examining details on the high ceiling that he hadn't bothered to check.

Cassian found his way to Azriel's side. "Rhys said she had a nightmare," he murmured as Mor gushed to Feyre about something Azriel didn't bother to note.

Azriel hummed in confirmation. "Give her space today."

"Any idea what it was about?"

"No," he answered, looking at the Sidra that lapped beyond the tall windows. "And just so the warning gets into you—I had to sleep in another room for half the night. So don't push her." He elongated those last four words.

He looked affronted by the tone. "I wasn't going to."

"Yet you have a marvellous habit of pushing her to tell you things she doesn't want to share."

Cassian looked at Azriel for another moment before giving another nod. As Feyre brought them back into her conversation with Mor with an offer of wine that Cassian perked at, the gentle creak of the front door came once more.

"I see knocking isn't going to be a habit," Rhysand sang beneath his breath, though he was smiling and left again to greet the newest arrival.

Azriel wasn't surprised to see him return with Arwen. Rhysand had his head tilted down as if talking to her, but neither of their lips were moving. Arwen had her arms gently folded, swathed in her light green sweater despite being a summer's day. Her lips were sent in a steady smile, violet eyes wandering as they took in the expanse of the River House. But her eyes had dark rings, a sure sign that she didn't sleep even after he had left the room. Azriel's shadows went to her, their presence unfelt but would keep her company just as they did for him.