XII

I was sitting at the table in the dining room with my head held low just thinking. At this point, I could trust nobody.

Not even Tally's loud-mouthed ass. The bitch had brought all the attention onto me, and now I couldn't help but think that every person in this house was after my money.

Cig, especially. I ain't like the way he was side-eyeing me the other day. Then, after that whole situation with Dee bitch ass, I knew I had to try to be a step ahead of everybody.

Based on my momma's reaction to me bringing up Cig, I knew that she had to know something about my dad's death. It was too obvious the way she ran off at the mention of his name yesterday.

We had planned to go grab some breakfast today anyways so I would just talk to her about it then.

But, I had some important shit to take care of first.

I was about to get my fucking lick back.

I saw Dee chilling by the pool so I ran up to my room, grabbed what I needed to grab, and went back downstairs.

Since his back was turned, I grabbed the knob to the door and slowly opened it. After that, I ran up to him at full speed with the bat I grabbed from my room and swung it at him.

He yelled when it made contact with his shoulder, but I didn't stop there.

Hell naw, cause after what he did yesterday he was finna suffer. I swung again and this time the bat hit him right in the face.

I watched as he fell to the ground holding his nose.

"What the fuck!" He yelled at me. I ignored him and brought the bat down several times. I made sure I aimed for shit that made him look pretty.

"Aye man, stop! I'm sorry, aight?" He was saying now. He said some other shit but I had honestly blacked out from there.

"Imma show yo ass crazy!" I yelled before kicking him in his balls. He then rolled to the side and into the pool.

I watched as he struggled to swim away from me and almost laughed at how dumb his ass looked. "Bitch ass nigga!" I flipped him off before I calmly walked back into the house.

I took a long, deep breath. That made me feel so much better. Now that that shit was settled, I could start plotting my next move.

I sat the bat down next to the door and grabbed my phone to call my momma.

└──────┘

"You still like chicken and waffles?" My mother asked me gingerly.

I could tell our relationship was gonna take some time to get back out of the awkward stage the way we were both acting.

"I do," I responded simply, shrugging my shoulders.

"Then you should order that, son."

I immediately cringed when she said that. I wasn't used to this type of treatment from her. Her showing up so suddenly was making me question what got her so sober in the first place.

"Ma you got a man or sum?" I asked her in the most matter-of-fact tone I could. If she was sober then that meant somebody was looking out for her.