XXV

"What do you want?" I asked Ebony, keeping my voice steady. "If you want money then you can get it. How much?"

Ebony stared at me for a moment, her face not showing any form of emotion whatsoever.

Then, she let out a long sigh and spoke in a quiet voice. "Money isn't what I want," she said, shaking her head slowly. "I want something much more valuable than that."

I felt a chill run down my spine as I watched Ebony clasp her hands together in a calm manner. What the hell could she possibly want other than money?

"Please, just tell me what you want," I pleaded, trying to keep my nerves in check. "I'll do my best to get you whatever you want. All you need to do is get KyRon out of jail."

Ebony's expression remained unreadable as she listened to my words. After a few moments of silence, she finally spoke again. "I want a seat at the table."

"What?" I said.

"A seat at the table," she repeated, her eyes fixed on mine. "I want to be a part of your operation, to have a say in how things are run, to be involved in the decision-making process."

"Are you dumb?" I questioned suddenly. "Ky would never go for that."

"It doesn't look like Ky is in the position to negotiate right now," Ebony replied calmly. "And you know as well as I do that he could use all the help he can get. Think about it, if I'm part of the operation, I can help him get out of jail, I can help you expand your business, and I can offer valuable insights and ideas. I have skills and connections that could be very useful."

I hesitated for a moment, weighing the pros and cons of Ebony's proposal. On the one hand, it could be beneficial to have her on our side.

On the other hand, I didn't entirely trust her and I didn't want to give her too much power.

"I'll consider it," I finally said, trying to keep my tone neutral. "But I need to talk to Ky first."

"Of course," Ebony said with a small smile. "Take your time, but don't take too long. Time is running out for Ky."

With that, she turned and was about to walk away, but stopped suddenly. "You should know that I didn't work alone."

I raised an eyebrow, a feeling of unease settling in the pit of my stomach. "What do you mean?" I asked, my voice low.

"I mean that there are others involved in KyRon's arrest," Ebony replied cryptically.

I looked at her expectantly, hoping she would reveal who else was involved. "Go on."

She laughed then. "Let's just say that they're a more...extra version of you."

I furrowed my brows in confusion, trying to decipher what Ebony meant by "an extra version of me."

Did she mean someone who was more ruthless, more cunning, more dangerous?

"Who are they?" I asked, my voice betraying a hint of desperation.

Ebony shook her head, her expression turning serious. "I can't say too much," she said. "But just be careful, okay? Don't trust anyone blindly."

With that, she turned and walked away, leaving me standing there, feeling more confused and conflicted than ever before.

I knew I had to talk to KyRon as soon as possible and figure out a plan to get him out of jail. But I also had to consider Ebony's proposal and the warning she had just given me.

Who the hell was more 'extra' than me?

Then, it hit me so suddenly that I cursed aloud. "That bitch."