16| New way to live

After one full minute of checking my coat for any lints or creases, I hang it on a hanger and and hang it on my closet's door

After one full minute of checking my coat for any lints or creases, I hang it on a hanger and and hang it on my closet's door. So that I could later carry it in my car and wear it after reaching the university.

Adjusting the cuffs of my shirt sleeve, I step out of my room and my senses instantly fill with the wafting smell of eggs and coffee along with a distant smell of something fresh like flowers.

I walk in the kitchen and I see Irhaa, my wife. Standing near the stove, making scramble eggs. Her whole concentration solely on her work, on one stove, there is a saucepan with tea brewing in it, on the counter opposite to her, my coffee machine was on and it was brewing my coffee.

And her, she had her hairs open, as they were still wet from the shower, must be explaining the flowery scent in the air.

But something about her, cooking food in my kitchen with wet open hairs, made her looked like she always belonged here. With me, in my world.

Hearing the timer go off, I walk to the coffee machine and pick up my cup.

She looks at me over her shoulder, her eyes widen and few blotches of red appear on her face.

I clear my throat picking up my cup of coffee, "Good morning."

"Morning." She greets back in a small voice, she turns back to the stove and closes the burner before emptying the scrambled eggs on a plate.

The toaster goes off beside me and she jumps at the sound of it, suppressing a chuckle, I grab a plate and place the toast on it, I gesture her to walk ahead, she strains her tea and grabs the plate of scrambled eggs before walking out of the kitchen.

I follow behind her and place the plate of toast and my coffee on the dining table. She takes her seat and looks at table, finding something.

"Butter or jam?" I ask, she nods slowly.

I take out the variety of jam flavours from the fridge I brought yesterday from the store.

Her eyes widen when I place five kinds of flavoured jam in front of her.

I open the sealed lids of each jar and push it towards her, sitting on my chair, I eat my toasts with scrambled eggs.

Irhaa picks up the strawberry jam and spreads it on her toast. A delightful expression on her face.

So strawberry is her favourite. I made a mental note to keep refilling strawberry jams every month.

She has a sweet tooth. The morning after our wedding, Hajra and Ayesha along with their husband's came at our flat, with breakfast for the newlyweds—their words not mine— Irhaa only ate sweet bakery delicacies and her favourite jam with toast.

Even during our wedding lunch, she ate sweets instead of any starter or main course.

Yesterday was our first alone breakfast, I couldn't sleep after my morning run so I made up some breakfast. She didn't ate much and I cursed myself for not having any sweet delicacy or jam in my fridge.