Chapter Twelve

"You don't have to cook for me, Mum

"You don't have to cook for me, Mum."

"I love cooking for both of you, and I especially enjoy cooking for more than one person." She grins. "It's so hard to guess quantities and then you're eating the same dish for days."

Mum bypasses me and walks into the kitchen. She gathers spices and sauces from the cupboard and places them on the kitchen table.

"How does tacos sound for dinner?"

I'm not really hungry but I nod. Perhaps tacos can entire my hunger.

Mum gathers vegetables from the fridge and gets to work chopping ingredients to cook with the mince. We sit in silence until she glances over her shoulder and raises an eyebrow.

"Are you okay, hun?"

"Yes." I force a smile. "Just a little tired and hanging out for the weekend."

I'm ready for a lazy weekend with Noah, watching tv and eating ice cream together. Ice cream isn't going to solve any of my problems, but I'll certainly feel better and it makes Noah happy.

"Hm, let's try that again. Are you okay?"

I lean against the edge of the couch and rub my face. I slide my fingers into my hair and tug on the roots. My phone rings and I groan at the sight of Craig's name on the screen. I slide my phone away and Mum raises the other eyebrow.

"Start talking right now, missy."

Noah's consumed by the television, so I get up and move to the kitchen. I lean against the counter and sigh. Mum hands me the wooden spoon and I stir the mince while she chops the vegetables.

"Craig has been calling every day to ask about Noah."

"Oh, that's new." Her face is a mixture of emotions, and it's kind of how I feel about the situation.

"It's annoying, that's what it is." I stab the mince with the wooden spoon to break it up and take some of the anger out of me. It doesn't do much good, though.

"What's with the sudden change?"

"We went to Craig's birthday party."

"And?"

"He started saying all these crazy things."

Mum stops chopping and turns to me.

"What crazy things, Ellie?"

"He said he loves me and wants to be a family again. Now I regret telling him to pick up a phone and call."

"What did you say? Are you going back to him?"

"No." I shake my head. "I grabbed Noah and ran. I think that's why he calls so much because he wants to know what I'm doing."

"I'm sure it'll wear off when nothing useful comes from it."