Chapter Thirty-Three

Some days are best spent at the park with good company

Some days are best spent at the park with good company. The warm glow of the sun on your cheeks, the cool breeze tousling through your hair, and the squeals of a well-amused toddler and an occupied boyfriend. It's perfect for lounging against a tree and burying your nose in a romance novel.

The silence is quickly disturbed by my child torpedoing toward me and crushing my insides. He pokes his head above the book and smiles.

"Hi, Mummy." He grins.

"Are you having fun?" I ask.

"Yes," he shouts. "Daniel pushed me on the swing."

I place the bookmark between the pages of my book and settle it beside me. Daniel rests his head on my stomach and sighs. I rustle my fingers through his hair and smile.

Daniel joins us on the picnic blanket and Noah leaps onto his lap and giggles.

"Drink some water, Noah, you've got red cheeks!" Daniel comments.

He takes their drink bottles from the backpack and has a drink.

"Are you two hungry?" I ask.

"For ice cream." Noah's eyes light up.

"Always for ice cream." I chuckle. "It's almost like you're deprived of ice cream with your obsession with it."

"Ice cream would be nice, it's a bit warm out here."

"Maybe we can have ice cream on the way home then."

"Okay." Noah pouts.

"Don't frown, let's see what delicious snacks are in here."

Noah peeks in the backpack and gasps. Daniel passes the containers to Noah and he inspects what's inside each one before placing them on the picnic rug. When Daniel reaches the bottom of the bag, he scrounges around.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm looking for something," he mutters. "I think something is missing."

I search through the containers and all the food I packed is there.

"It's all here unless you packed something else?" I frown.

"Wait, I found it." He pulls out a small black velvet box and my mouth drops.

Daniel moves to his knee and opens the box. There lay a beautiful diamond ring that sparkles under the rays of the sun. I look up to Daniel and his nervous smile is adorable.

"Falling for you was the best leap of faith I've ever taken. In the course of our relationship, you've helped open my heart back up to my family and the possibility of building a life with someone. I love you and what we're building. So I'm asking, Miss Ellie Rhodes, will you marry me?"

"Yes," I scream.

"Yay." Noah cheers.

Noah leaps into my arms and I kiss the top of his head before standing up. Noah clings to my side as Daniel engulfs me in a hug. He pecks my lips before finding my hand, which is a little shaky. He takes the ring out of the box and slips it onto my finger. He kisses my hand and rubs my finger.