Chapter Thirty

Ellie's Point of View

Daniel swirls his fingertips across my skin as they inch up my thigh. He inches them under the hem of my shorts and squeezes my thigh, tugging me impossibly closer. I hook my arm around his neck and tangle my fingers in his soft blonde hair and tug on it. I tug a little hard so his head slightly tilts back and I can trail kisses up the length of his neck, across his jawline, and to his lips. He bites my lower lip, then wildly kisses me.

The doorbell rings and I lean back to glance at Daniel. We blankly stare at each other, and then it rings again.

"Are you expecting anyone?" he asks.

I check my phone just to make sure I didn't miss a message from Craig, but there are no messages from anyone.

"I have no messages from Craig unless something bad happened and he came straight over." I jump up and race to the door with Daniel hot on my heels. He ducks in front and opens the front door. I peer over his shoulder and smile at the sight of Henry and Harvey.

"Hey guys," they say.

"Hope we weren't interrupting anything." Henry laughs.

Daniel adjusts his shorts and shoots them a glare.

"Clara told me you were child-free tonight, so we thought we'd surprise you with food and drinks," Henry says.

Daniel looks over his shoulder and raises an eyebrow.

"What a wonderful idea! You've been saying it would be nice to have another guy's night."

His blue eyes search mine for an excuse, but I stay firm with a smile and nod for reassurance. Sometimes Noah doesn't want to spend the night with Craig, so our child-free nights are hard to come by, but after our family picnic, he needs this more than ever.

He opens the door wider and points to the kitchen. I catch Daniel's hand and weave my fingers between his.

"I'm going to visit my Mum so you three can have the house to yourselves."

"You don't have to leave."

"I want you three to have space and talk shit freely. Besides, Mum's been nagging me to come and hang out with her. The only house rule is to keep the noise down because Mrs. Potts isn't happy with us for some reason. She glared at me the other morning when she was watering her agapanthas."

"Maybe she wasn't wearing her glasses?"

"She doesn't have glasses."

"Welp, she needs them then." He chuckles.

"Have fun."

Daniel cups my face and plants a soft kiss against my lips.

"I love you," he whispers.