Four

Sidney had spent a lot of time throughout her seven years since the 68th Hunger Games continuing to train, so she wasn't rusty, which was very clear by the very prominent muscles across her shoulders and arms. Part of it was out of fun because she truly liked spear-throwing and sickle combat as a hobby. But the other part of it was paranoia that someday President Snow would come to do worse.

She entered the training room to see that not many people were there yet. The quietness made Sidney uncomfortable as her training in her Games had been very noisy and full of commotion.

Finnick and Sidney went their separate ways to train on their own in their own skills. Sidney warmed up her spear-throwing on a few targets before entering a room of holographic tributes.

She stabbed and swung her spear left and right at the fake people as they approached her, drawing the attention of the tributes.

When Sidney left the room, Katniss came up next to her, just about to go into the room herself.

"That was impressive." Katniss spoke. Sidney nodded at her in appreciation, watching as she walked into the room, a bow in hand.

Sidney watched from the outside as Katniss shot at all of the holograms. People began to gather around, curious. They wondered just how good the Girl on Fire really was. And she was damn good.

Wiress began clapping for Katniss as she finished and came out of the room. Sidney smiled at Katniss and gave a short yet loud cheer.

"Now that was impressive." Sidney repeated Katniss's words, earning a smile from the girl.

Sidney headed over to a different station used to make different things from nature surroundings. She got straight to work on making a fish hook with some wood, feathers, dried seaweed, and sharp rocks.

Katniss walked up to Sidney, watching her work on the fish hook. Sidney looked up at Katniss with a smirk.

"You want me to teach you?" Sidney spoke. Katniss nodded with a small smile.

Sidney taught Katniss the different types of fish hooks and what fish they catch. She then showed her what materials she'd need and taught her how to make the final product.

Sidney turned away for a moment to see Finnick practicing with his trident. He noticed her looking over and immediately did a 'what?!' gesture with his face, head, and arms, she did it right back to him but more incredulously. He then rolled his eyes and she subsequently flipped him off, him then doing it back to her with both hands. Sidney scoffed as she turned back. "Ass." She murmured to herself.

"What is the deal between you two?" Katniss asked, nodding over at Finnick as she tied her fish hook together.

"I never thought you'd be curious of others friendships." Sidney joked with Katniss.

"I'm normally not," Katniss admitted. "But you two seem different."

"Huh?" Sidney asked Katniss, watching her work on her fish hook as Sidney was already done.

"You two are always hanging out, but also seem super annoyed with one another." Katniss shrugged. "But you're always watching one another to make sure neither one was in danger, so you clearly also don't hate each other."

"I don't know," Sidney shrugged. She hadn't really thought about it. It was just normal for her. "We're super close but I don't know if I should put a label on it."

Katniss was quiet for a moment, thinking carefully about her next words. "Do you have a thing for him?" Katniss asked, but instead of a worded answer, she got Sidney dramatically and loudly gagging. That was all the answer Katniss needed.

The next two days were very boring. It was simply training, training, training. All of the time. Sidney and Finnick were training morning to night, only stopping to eat lunch.

The only fun part about training had been when Finnick came up to Sidney with a noose around his neck, asking her if she wanted to walk him. She simply rolled her eyes and the two attempted to quietly laugh while they continued cracking jokes for what was nearly ten minutes.

After morning training on the third day of being in the Capitol, Haymitch came to the District Four floor.

"May I have a word with you both?" Haymitch asked as Sidney and Finnick walked off of the elevator.

"How long will it take?" Sidney asked. "We have to get ready for the evaluations tonight." She turned to Finnick. "Are we gonna do great or what?" She asked, holding her hand up to get a high five from Finnick.

"It won't take too long, if you listen," Haymitch told them. They nodded, the three of them walking over to the sitting area.

Atala was off talking to the stylists for tomorrow's interviews and so nobody else was on the floor after Haymitch sent the Avoxes away.

"What's going on?" Finnick asked as he and Sidney sat on a couch across from where Haymitch was sitting in an arm chair.

"Katniss wants Sidney as an ally," Haymitch nodded toward Sidney. "But not you, Finnick."

"Am I too dashing for her?" Finnick asked with sarcasm.

"Possibly." Sidney shrugged.

"No, she just doesn't trust you." Haymitch told Finnick.

"And she trusts me?" Sidney asked him, an incredulous and open-mouthed smile on her face.

Haymitch shrugged before saying. "Yes."

Sidney's smile turned into a look of confusion and doubt. "Me?"

"It seems so."

"So what do we do?" Finnick asked him.

Haymitch stood up, pulling a golden bracelet off of his wrist and handing it to Finnick.

"Wear this in the arena," Haymitch told her. "Katniss knows who it's from."

"And you think this'll keep her from trying to kill me?" Finnick asked Haymitch, taking the bracelet from him.

"It couldn't hurt." Haymitch shrugged.

"Great," Sidney laughed. "He says she wants to kill you so he gives you a bracelet!"

Sidney and Finnick spoke quietly between each other as they waited for the calling for the tributes to begin.

Sidney wasn't sure yet what she was going to do in the room for the Gamemakers. She wanted to do something big. She no longer cared what score she got or if she would anger the Gamemakers.

Sidney couldn't help but let her mind wander to the memories of her Hunger Games.

Sidney held on to Finnick's hand, feeling a panic attack creeping up on her. She began to feel like she was drowning, which often came with these attacks. She couldn't breath. Waves of water pooled in on her in her vision. Was it water or blood? Both of the liquids blended together in Sidney's eyes.

Sidney took a few deep breaths, trying to control herself and soon the water and blood left her vision.

"Finnick Odair." The robotic voice called over the speakers in the waiting area. Finnick stood up and placed his hand on Sidney's shoulder, staring at her for a moment before walking down the long hall into the training room.

A few moments later, Sidney's voice was announced over the speakers. As Sidney got up and began to walk down the long hall towards the training room, she caught Katniss' eye. Katniss gave her a nod, telling her she'll do great.

Sidney walked into the room, looking around at the weapons, dummies, paint, and obstacle courses set up around her.

"Ms. Gage, you have ten minutes to display whatever skills of your choosing." Plutarch Heavensbee spoke.

Sidney got to work right away, knowing what she wanted to make. She grabbed many leaves started to place them around to spell something. She then made her way to the station used to make fire. In just a few moments, she was able to spark flames. Lastly, Sidney lifted the wood the fire had grown on and dropped it onto one leaf, it spreading around to every letter quickly. Sidney left the room without being excused, leaving the words 'SNOW WILL BURN.'