Seven

Sidney hadn't seen Johanna or Peeta in what she believed to be three weeks. Once they were moved to the Tribute Center, each of the victors were given their own cell in their own room.

It had been almost a month since she sent that message to District Thirteen. She didn't get a reply. She wasn't even sure if they had gotten it or not. She just had to hope.

Sidney knew Peeta had been beaten for warning District Thirteen that the Capitol was coming to bomb them. But according to President Snow, the message was even worse than Sidney's had been. Sidney could only imagine how badly he had been broken.

Sidney could no longer remember what she use to look like before being taken to the Capitol. She could barely remember her skin without scars or bruises. She could barely remember not living in a cell.

Everyday, this life became more and more ordinary. The Capitol played with her mind, putting false memories in it. She still remembered District Four and Finnick and her friends, but everyday she trusted less and less in the rebels. They were turning her against the rebels, slowly but surely. It was only a matter of time.

Finnick stared at the screen, watching the rescue team take off in the Capitol hovercraft. He really hoped this would work. He looked over at Katniss who was standing to his right, staring at Gale's screen. Gale held onto his gun, tightly.

"Are you ready, Finnick?" Cressida asked from behind him. Finnick turned and nodded. Cressida walked out of the room along with her production crew, Finnick following behind.

They rode up the elevator and climbed out of the District Thirteen bunker. Castor and Pollux got right to work setting up the shot.

Finnick stood in the middle of the rubble, staring at all of the white roses on the ground around his feet. He was the distraction. If he couldn't go on the mission to get Sidney back, he'd do whatever he could. Even if that meant talking about the truth behind being a victor in the Games.

"Okay, Finnick," Cressida spoke from next to Pollux who was filming. Finnick turned and faced the camera. "No matter what, just keep talking." Finnick nodded.

Cressida counted down on her fingers and pointed to Finnick, telling him when he could begin speaking. Finnick took in a deep breath. This is for Sidney, he thought.

"This is Finnick Odair. Winner of the 65th Hunger Games," Finnick began. "And I'm coming to you from District Thirteen, alive and well. We've survived an assault from the Capitol. But I'm not here to give you recent news."

Finnick paused for a moment. It was time for the country to know the truth.

"The truth. Not the myths about a life of luxury. Not the lie about glory for your homeland. You can survive the arena. The moment you leave, you're a slave," Finnick spoke.

Finnick watched as Cressida nodded, waving her hand to tell him to continue.

"President Snow used to sell me. Or my body, at least . . ." Finnick continued, speaking of the horrors he endured. "I wasn't the only one. If a victor is considered desirable, the President gives them as a reward or allows people to buy them. If you refuse, he kills someone you love."

Finnick let out a breath. He'd been trying to protect Sidney since he mentored her for her games seven years ago and she may have already been dead. Or changed. Finnick only hoped she would be on the hovercraft ride home.

Sidney knew something was wrong almost immediately. Peacekeepers and doctors ran around the Tribute Center, she was let out of her cell for the first time in three days, and when the Peacekeeper saw her scratching stuff into the wall he only questioned her and gave no punishment of any kind.