Chapter Twenty One

The next morning we were out and riding through the forest again. We had to leave the nice village behind, but Acorn promised me we'd return once I was better so I could have a look around safely. He was a lot kinder to me this morning, and a lot more patient.

He had guided me onto my horse with gentle hands that seemed to linger on my body, but wasn't making a big deal out of it. It felt... comfortable.

He steered our horses in the right direction and I could do nothing but hold on and trust him to be leading us in the right direction. My skin was beginning to feel clammy and clay like. Every so often I would run my fingers over it and shiver, but Acorn told me nothing had changed.

My eyelids drooped every so often as we travelled, so Acorn began pointing out small things to me to keep me awake, "Over there is a Ryker Possum. We brought them here from another country we once sailed to. I think it was Bospo. Bospo isn't like our area. We have Kingdoms and people to rule areas, but Bospo is ruled by one family. The two leaders aren't called the King and Queen though. I can't remember what they're called..." He shook his head, frustrated at his failing memory. "Anyway, there's always a man and woman in charge to keep everybody happy."

"I think that's a nice idea," I mumbled, thinking of his mother. The Queen wasn't a nice person, and maybe having a man by her side might change that, or at least mean that the people get treated fairly.

"Really?" he raised his eyebrows. "And what if a woman marries another woman or a man marries another man? Who rules?"

I shrugged, "Royalty don't really get that option. For you guys, it's all about breeding and creating heirs."

Acorn frowned, "Well that's not on my mind."

"It should be. You're now heir for the throne. You need to have someone come after you."

"Couldn't I marry who I want and worry about heirs later? Say, if I marry a man, have an heir with a woman so it would technically be mine?"

"What?" I straightened up in my seat and my horse huffed. "You would cheat? And then what? The poor unmarried woman would have to look after the child alone?"

"Well," he rubbed the back of his neck. "It's not unheard of. In the past, if a woman was barren this would happen."

I sighed softly and shook my head, "It's not right. If you find a woman willing to do it, fine. But make sure she's not forced to look after it and spend all her time on your son."

He chuckled softly, "I'll hire someone to look after him then."

I shot him an incredulous look until I saw the wide grin on his face. He was messing with me again. "Bastard," I muttered.

"Incent," he laughed. "I wouldn't go and get a random woman pregnant! If I wanted a child, I'd find some other way. But for the most part, I wouldn't do anything bad."

I bit my own lip to stop myself from smiling. My smile faded, however, when we heard some rustling ahead of us. The dark green leaves ahead of us shook, although there was no wind. Acorn pulled his horse directly in front of mine and I hissed in annoyance before falling silent as another rustle occurred.

Suddenly, a woman came out from behind the tree and jumped as if he hadn't heard us coming up behind her. She clutched at her chest dramatically, taking large gasps of air.

"I'm sorry for frightening you," Acorn murmured, getting off his horse and going to her. "We didn't hear you until it was too late."

She gave us a gentle smile and pulled her hand away, "It's alright." She looked up at him with adoring eyes. "That's quite a scar you have there."

My skin began to tingle slightly and I scratched at my skin in annoyance. Was I allergic to something here?

Acorn laughed, "I got it a while ago. I barely even remember it's there."

She smiled at him, "I think it's lovely. It matches your beautiful eyes. Here, come closer so I can see them." She took his arm and pulled him in.

My skin began to itch more fervently and I found myself scratching the back of my neck as it bothered me the most. I watched the two people interact with little interest until I looked away.

The itching stopped.

The back of my neck prickled with fear as I looked back at them and my skin began to itch again, "Acorn..." I murmured, my eyes on the woman.

Acorn was laughing and talking to the woman, but I noticed her eyes slide past his to look at mine.

The iris was completely black.

"Acorn!" I shouted, jumping off my horse and drawing my sword. Acorn looked back at me in shock, but when he noticed what I was doing, he looked around for a threat. When he turned his head, he came face to face with the smiling woman.

Except her teeth had become fangs.

He jerked away with a loud yell and tried to draw his sword in time, but she was faster and jumped on him, pushing him to the ground. He clattered to the floor in an undignified manner.

I ran up beside them and raised my sword, bracing myself for a killing shot, when I felt my skin tingle again and I hesitated.

The hesitation was all I needed so save a life when she suddenly disappeared, leaving the two of us standing in the forest. If I had let my sword fall, I would have killed Acorn.

The thought made my heart tighten in pain and I was surprised. I blinked down at Acorn with interest. What about him made me not want to kill him?

He held his hand up to me so I'd help him up and I did, heaving him to his feet.

"She wasn't real," I said softly, sheathing my sword. "It was a phantom. An image created by a powerful demon."

Acorn put his own sword away, "How did you know she wasn't human? You warned me."

"My skin," I murmured. "My skin was itching so much when I looked at her, but stopped when I turned away. It just happened once, but I knew it had to mean something. When she looked at me, and I saw her eyes, I knew for sure that she wasn't human."

Acorn frowned, "Why would your skin itch?"

I shrugged nonchalantly and got back on my horse with a groan of discomfort.

Acorn got back on his, but rode behind me as our trail narrowed. I could feel his gaze on me the entire time.

Yay, we've just gotten past the 30,000 word mark!! Woot woot!! I feel really happy to have done something like that! I hope this story will continue for a long time :D