Chapter Thirty Four

Another chapter!! Woot! We're allmmmoost done, but I don't want this story to ever end!! :3 This is my first full length story I've ever written online except for Glitch but Glitch was written for NaNoWriMo and not online!
This has been so much fun and I'm excited to keep writing!

"So what happened to you?" Acorn asked once we had all calmed down. He was avoiding eye contact with the body lying in front of us that used to be his brother.

I shrugged tightly, my back aching, "A lot. I don't have enough time to explain it all. But you have to believe that I don't want to hurt you. If I did, why on earth would I be standing in front of you talking to you instead of killing you?" I sighed, deep and low. "But why were you with Par? He's from my Kingdom."

"He came to me," he replied. "He knew who I was already and came in to have a chat. He doesn't actually come from your Kingdom. Apparently he's from mine."

"I've known him since I was a kid," I insisted, sitting down with a sleeping Tim on my lap. I have no idea how kids can sleep through such disasters. I wish I could. "We learnt how to hunt together. He was always better than me."

Acorn pursed his lips and thought about it for a moment. I could almost see the cranks moving in his brain. "Perhaps he was a spy? Placed here, or there, to spy for one of the royal parties."

"So basically a traitor to one of us," I said quietly. I sighed again and looked up at the ceiling. "I don't know who Lothaire is going after. Maybe the people? But he could have done that at any time when they were in their villages."

Acorn thought about it for a moment, "What if he's after my mother?" He jumped up and offered me a hand to help me rise. "We'll get you bandaged up after we find Lothaire and end him."

I didn't take his hand.

"Come on," he said, trying to get me to come along again. "We need to go now."

"I can't," I whispered. "You don't understand."

He knelt in front of me, the huge frown on his face causing his scar to crinkle up. "Tell me what I don't understand."

"We're bonded," I whispered. "When I..." I took a deep breath before continuing. "When I was young, I was... forced by him." Acorn seemed to be about to ask me a question when realisation slipped into his eyes. "Ever since then, we've had a tiny bond apparently. Being around him strengthens that. I was alone with only him for company for a long time, Acorn. I have to do what he says now. If he tells me to kill you, I don't know if I can stop myself."

He put his hands on my knees gently, being careful of Tim's sleeping form. "Incent, you're an incredible hunter. I've seen the strength in your arms and the skill in which you hold a sword. But there's something else I've seen in you as well. And that's tenderness. You have a kind heart and you shouldn't be afraid to let people see it. This demon thinks he has control over you, but it's only your body. He doesn't control your heart. Who controls your heart Incent?"

"Me," I whispered. "I hope."

"You," he nodded, "and only you. Only you decide who you love and what you feel. You would never let a demon hurt anyone in front of you, would you?" At my head shake he smiled. "Good. You're a good person, and you need to remember that. I trust you to have my back and do the right thing. Remember that when we next see him."

I looked down at my filthy shoes (for once I didn't care about how my clothes looked) and felt a spark of pride. No matter what had happened between us, he still trusted me! I stood up slowly, still holding onto Tim.

"Okay," I murmured. "We'll find Lothaire. But first I want to put Tim in my room so he'll be safe and not scared when he wakes up."

Acorn nodded his consent and I went to my room to put him in there. I nearly dropped him when I saw who was in there, rifling through my weapons.

"Tattoo?" I gasped.

She whirled around, holding one of my small knives in her shaking hand. When she saw me, relief flooded her eyes and she lowered the weapon.

"What are you doing in here?" I asked, putting Tim on the bed.

"I s-saw a demon," she said, her voice scared. She had tied her dark hair up so it was out of her face, showing off her delicate features. "I was m-meant to clean up y-your room when you left and throw a-away all of your things, b-but I left them. And I knew their w-were knives here a-and..." She trailed off, wiping her face free of the tears that had fallen.

"It's okay," I murmured, giving her an awkward pat on the shoulder. "You know what, this is perfect." I picked Tim up again. "I need you to get him out of here. And also yourself," I added, not wanting to sound like I was using her to only save his life. I barely knew the girl, but I still didn't want to see her die for no reason.

She took the body and juggled him in her arms until she found a comfortable position with him. She held the knife out at an odd position. "How am I meant to fight?" She asked meekly. Now that she had been given a task, she was no longer panicking and had focused on her duty. I had to admire her determination.

"Take this instead," I rifled through my bags until I found an automatic crossbow. "It only fires a few times, but as long as you make them count you should be able to scare off demons or any attackers who try anything on you. Just aim and fire. You won't have to move yourself much to use this one."

She nodded and held the small weapon in her hand. "Okay. I'll get him out of here. Should I take any other villagers I find?"

I nodded, "But only if you bump into them. Don't go searching for them. It could put you in danger."

She took a deep breath just as I had in the library and headed out of the door, bumping into Acorn. She looked back at me, "Should I take the Prince with me?"

I couldn't help but laugh softly, "No. I still need his help with something."

Tattoo nodded and left quickly.

Looking at Acorn, I took several of my weapons back, surprised and grateful to Tattoo for leaving them in my room and not destroying them or selling them. I glanced up at the prince, "How are the villagers? Did the disease pass?"

Sorrow crossed his features, "Many died, unfortunately. But we were able to save a lot of children."

"That's something at least," I murmured, picking up a few extra knives to slide into my belt. "Let's go."

Instead of stepping away, he stepped into the room (and into my personal space). I looked up at him and waited for him to threaten me or warn me about something. To my surprise, he cupped my face with his warm hands.

"I want you to know that I think you're brave," he murmured, lowering his face to mine. "And I'm so sorry for listening to the demons and leaving you with them instead of coming to save you. I can't imagine how it felt being abandoned with them."

"I'm not abandoned anymore," I whispered back.

He nodded and smiled, lowering his lips to mine, and giving me a sweet kiss. The kiss began to grow hungrier as he slid his hands to my neck and then my shoulders.

"Incent?" He breathed between kisses. "Can I have one thing from you, even though I don't deserve it?"

"What is it?" I asked, looking up at him and covering his big hands with my own.

"You."

Okay, so a question for those who don't know what to write as a review: Does that last word of this chapter make you feel suspicious or excited? ;)

spot.cob_