Chapter Thirty Two

I want to thank everyone who has stuck with me so far!! Every time I get a new review I tense up, expecting something like "This is crap" but everyone has been so supportive and kind!! So thank you again <3
Like I said in the last chappy, we're nearing the end of the book!! Woot! But a sequel shall be arriving on a shore near you *hint hint*
I hope you enjoy this chapter!!

The blood rushed through my body in shock, causing my ears to almost grow deaf. I saw Par's lips moving, but I couldn't hear a word he was saying. My eyes drifted to Acorn's face and saw nothing but annoyance. I tried to find any semblance of kindness or even simply interest, but found nothing.

My hearing came back to me and I looked at Par, "What did you say?"

He stared at me for a moment, as if confused, and then spoke again. "Incent, I told Prince Acorn everything, including my movement to protect him. You should go back to your kingdom because everyone knows you're a traitor."

I blinked. "You, what? Protecting him? I haven't done anything wrong!"

"Oh Incent, no one believes that," he chuckled softly.

"Acorn?" I scowled at him. "Come on, I haven't even remotely tried to hurt you."

Before Acorn could answer, Par jumped in to speak. "Because you're an assassin. You gain everyone's trust, including the Queen's, and then when you kill him no one will suspect you."

I made a frustrated noise, "Look, I don't have time for this. Acorn, your brother is here."

Acorn gave me a disinterested look, "My brother is dead."

"No!" Anger flooded me. "Your brother is here." I tried my hardest to remember the name I had been given weeks ago. "Kaeden is here!"

I could see the struggle on his face. He wanted to believe me, but at the same time he wanted to tell me to get out and never come back. At least it didn't look like he wanted to kill me anymore.

"You came here with him?" This was his response to me.

"I had to," I said, my voice softer although the rage was still bubbling underneath my skin.

Par smirked at me and I felt another rush of anger. He was my friend! We had known each other since we were kids! He was one of the only people I had felt comfortable around when my scars on my back were showing. But now he'd betrayed me and it hurt. My heart felt like it was bleeding in my chest. I could feel every throbbing beat as it pulsated in pain and I struggled to take a breath without breaking down. But I knew I had to stay strong to keep Acorn safe.

"Acorn, please, let me speak to you alone," I begged.

Par shook his head, "I don't think that's a goo-"

"Okay," Acorn cut Par off mid sentence.

Par bit his lip and stared at Acorn for a moment before bowing his head, "As you wish. I'll be right outside the door. Call if you need help."

Acorn nodded and waited until the man left before turning back to me. "I'm doing you quite the favour by-"

"Favour?" I asked, not caring that I had completely interrupted him. "Favour? You know what would have been a good favour? Me not rotting away in some tree nest, waiting for you to come and get me! Every night when that demon went to sleep I would stare down at the ground, praying to see you looking up at me! Every morning when the birds started chirping I would imagine hearing hoof beats in the distance and it would be you coming to save me! Every day and night, I waited for you because I couldn't escape from him myself." I cut myself off this time as my chest burned from the bond I had reformed with the demon, but I kept going. I needed to make Acorn understand me.