Chapter 38

Francesco POV
I am excited to get home to see Mia. It was her first day at camp. I am getting home later than I planned. Fuck, I need to pick up some ingredients for dinner.

"Tony, can you come into my office for a second?" I asked him through our connected intercoms

"Dad, what is it? I am trying to help Leo with our financial crisis."

" Is your assistant still here? Your mother asked me to pick up a few things for dinner, and I forgot and have a few more documents I need to review before I can head home."

Tony looks at me blankly for a few seconds before retrieving his phone from his pocket and seeming to be texting someone.

"Done. Send her the list. Bye." He says while closing my door.

What a son.

I have been looking over our documents from both our legal and illegal businesses to see if there are any odd coincidences. Surprise, surprise, there are. The obvious answer is that word has gotten out that we got our daughter back, and other mafias are trying to attack while we have a weakness. However, I know there is something we are missing. The reports are too obvious, and if it is the German Mafia and this is the best they can do, they have gotten sloppy. But I do not think that is the case. So, what am I missing?

"Dad! I found something!" Leo says, busting into my office.

He comes to my desk and puts all these papers with reports from the past few years. Looking closely at the dates, it seems it started when Maria was pregnant with Mia.

"You see it, don't you?" Leo says as he watches me assess the papers.

"I see you brought me incident reports from a couple of years ago, but I do not see why," I tell him, waiting for him to explain.

"Okay, so I've been waiting on the background checks from our security and hackers, but while waiting, I felt that something was off. I thought that there was something that we were missing, so I decided to look into incident reports from the past couple of years to see if anything stood out. So, I looked at the dates, and it seemed the same amount of money was withdrawn on the day Mia was kidnapped her birthday, and the day we thought we had taken out the Germans." He tells me, emphasizing those incidents.

What the hell? How did this go unnoticed for so long?

"We have programs in our computer to recognize patterns like these for incidents revolving around money and violence toward the company. Why did it not detect it?"

"That I am not quite sure yet. I just started looking into the programming aspect, but I will ask Enzo to look into it to see if there is a bug or something. Obviously, something has been brewing before Mia was born, and her birth was the perfect time to strike." Leo tells me, looking exhausted.

"Good work, son. I think we are finished for the day. Let's collect Tony and head home. I am excited to hear from Mia about her day." I tell him to collect all the papers and put them in my suitcase.

We knock on Tony's door but get no response. Weird.

"Did he tell you he was leaving early?" I ask Leo.

"No, let me check to see if he texted." He replies while looking at his phone.

"Anything?" I ask, getting a bit anxious.

"No-"

"Is everything alright?" We hear a voice come from behind us.

We look and see it is Tony's assistant, Elizabeth.

"Where is Antonio?" I ask her as I grab the groceries from her arms.

"Is he not in his office? Let me check to see if he had any last-minute meetings." She says while pulling her tablet out of thin air.