fifty one - change in the air

THE LAST CHAPTER WAS SO UNNECESSARY 😭. I wrote it in the middle of the night so I was like delirious and I only read through it this week and I think I shed real tears. I'm thinking about deleting it, sorry yall 😨.

Contains suggestive and slightly depressive themes!

July 9th 1993.

"You had another nightmare? Why didn't you tell me?"

"It was stupid, you wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway."

Michael leaned against the balcony railing, his eyes locking onto mine in concern. He grabbed my hand, interlacing our fingers tightly as if to tell me 'everything will be okay'.

"It's not stupid Y/N; this is the second day in a row this is happening." He looked down at our fingers with a sigh. "I only had nightmares when something bad was about to happen, I hope it isn't the same for you."

I gazed out across the balcony: the sun was slowly setting, the day rapidly coming to an end. The loud crashes of waves filled my ears, the fresh smell of the salty sea intoxicating my nostrils. I missed all of this: the warm breeze against my skin, the constant squealing of children below, the loud beeping and screaming from the streets. It was weird... but I had never felt more at home.

"I'm not having visions Michael, it's just nightmares about what's already happened." I reassured him softly, finally meeting his gaze and squeezing his hand. "It shouldn't be something to worry about."

"Well I am worried- my father is a dangerous man, I'm not letting you get hurt by him again." Mike sighed, hanging his head. I frowned.

"Your father is in Hurricane, we're here in L.A. Nothing will happen to us. It was just a dumb nightmare, they'll go away in a few days."

"Yes but we go back to Utah tonight don't we?" Mike took a deep breath, squeezing my hand gently. "It could be a sign."

I scoffed. "A sign about what? Your father will magically come to our flat and try to murder me again? That's not gonna happen, you're just overthinking it."

"I'm just trying to keep you safe."

"I know, I'm sorry- I-I'll tell you if I have another one..."

"Hey sweetheart-" Mom's voice startled me, making both me and Michael jump unison. We swivelled around to face her: she was standing in the doorway with an old, dusty guitar in her hand, grinning widely. "I found it!'

Mom led us back inside her living room, seating us down on the couch. A large smile spread across Mike's face the second he saw the large instrument clutched in mom's hand. I giggled uncontrollably, earning a gentle nudge from Michael.

"You have a guitar?!" Michael exclaimed like a child when they got a gift from santa. Mom laughed, nodding as she handed him the guitar.

"Yeah- it was my ex husband's: not Y/N's father but my husband's before that. It was one of the main reasons I married him." She explained with a sigh, sitting down on a creaky chair beside the coffee table in front of us. "And one of the main reasons I divorced him."

Mike gawked at her, both in surprise and happiness as he took the guitar into his hands. "Wow..." He sat up so that he could hold it properly, strumming only one single note but it sounded like it erupted straight from heaven.

I don't think I've ever heard Michael play before. Maybe only once or twice when we were dating in high school but then he quit because he had different problems on his mind.

"You know how to play?" Mom gasped, watching as Michael dusted off the guitar slightly with his sleeve. He nodded frantically, his grin only growing wider and wider across his face. It made me happy to see him so pleased about something- I love how he was still proud about his musical skills.