Chapter 24- Don't Forget

Having Aria and Pearl stay the night in my old room was so much fun. Maybe I was wrong about my life completely disappearing. Ever since the other day, Pearl and Aria have been nothing but supportive of me. Not to mention the fact that they haven't seemed to change the way that they look at me. The feeling of relief that this brought me was indescribable, but at the same time, I knew that there was still one important person that I needed to talk to.

I woke up at dawn for the first time in ages after a peaceful dreamless sleep. I carefully climbed out of bed and tiptoed across the room to my balcony, stepping into the morning sun and feeling the warmth on my skin. I still didn't want to leave the home, at least not until the end of the school year which was ever growing near. Despite my determination to stay there, I still missed this place. This was my home, and the memories I could see as I walked through the halls brought me comfort. I missed my mother, but it wasn't just her. Uncle Chris, Aunt Amy, and Carmen, not to mention my grandfather. All gone with no telling when they would return. I know that my awakening really helped everyone feel optimistic since it was the first time in years one of us simply wandered back in as if out of nowhere, but the losses were still fresh in their minds. I wish I could have met them while they were still here. There's nothing worse than missing out on a generation.

"What got you up so early?" Pearl asks as she wanders onto the balcony, leaning forward to rest her arms on the railing.

"A lot on my mind." I sigh as I look out at the flower field "How about you?" I ask curiously.

"Same I guess." she states as she arches her neck back, staring up at the hazy sky "Your world is strange, huh?"

"Abnormally normal." I laugh to myself "I'm used to it at this point, but I know seeing it firsthand can be off-putting."

"You're right about that." Pearl says quietly "It's got me feeling really overwhelmed. It feels like a weird dream."

"I get that," I state as I feel the wind begin to brush my hair back. As we sit in silence for a few minutes, I keep thinking about how everything is going to change soon. Even once I tell Magnus, who knows what will happen as a result? And then once graduation comes around, the whole world will know my secret at the Soul Reading Ceremony since Aurora already knows my identity. Everything on my mind has me feeling overly stressed right now.

"Are you doing that?" Pearl asks, and suddenly I realize how strong the wind had become, blowing petals from the flowers below. As I take a deep breath and let it go, the strong breeze seems to calm itself.

"Sorry." I sigh as I look down at my hands.

"Wow..." Pearl says in disbelief as she stares at me.

"What?" I ask, but suddenly realize that she's never witnessed elemental manipulation that closely before "I... that happens sometimes when I get stressed." I state awkwardly. She seems at a loss for words now. We both look back out at the flowers below, seeing the petals that had been blown away slowly return to the ground.

"Hey, Tessa?" Pearl suddenly asks nervously.

"What?" I ask curiously.

"Is it ever weird for you knowing that when you eventually die, you'll come back?" she asks, suddenly thinking harder "I mean, everyone aside from the rest of your family will probably be gone next time. But you'll just... be here," she explains solemnly.

"Oh... that." I sigh as I turn to look at her, she seems like she's nearly in tears now "I'm not going to lie, it's hard to process every time."

"I just can't help but wonder, have you ever had close friends like us before?" she asks nervously.