All At Stake |15|

Guilty

Guilty.The one word sends my mind spiraling out of control. It's as if someone's tossed me down an unending rabbit hole. I knew my outcome would be guilty, and I knew that it might lead to Poppy getting taken away, but now that the moment is here, and Kiki is going to, I'm devastated.There's a huge difference between being concerned about something happening and it coming to fruition.

I sit in my cell, waiting for someone to get me to force me to fulfill my punishment. A tiny sliver of hope that Eros will be there festers in my chest. Even though I'm pretty sure he's completely written me off at this point, being with my dad during the darkest time of my eternity will bring me a little comfort.

When Cordy rounds the corner, all hope of not being alone fades. The satisfaction on his face sickens me. To think, I once considered him a friend."Will Poppy be there?" I ask as I rise from the lonely city in my cell and approach the door.

"The pixie is already in protective custody " Cordy unlocks the cell to let me out.

His blasé answer cut deep. He probably thinks I didn't even care about her and that she was some tool to me. "I don't even get to say goodbye?"

"No. Come on, I've got other things I have to do today. " he guides me towards the stairs that lead up to the main council entrance.

"We used to be friends, you know. Now you act like you can't stand me. What happened?" I ask as I easily comply and follow him.

"I never liked you." It is a punch in the gut to hear him say that. What I thought was years of friendship was one-sided this entire time.

"But in school-"

"I was helping you in hopes of getting in good with your dad. That he'd snatch me your to train with him." He looks over his shoulder at me. A hint of a sneer is on his face. "In all honesty, you're a subpar Amora at best, who only got the job as a field agent because of her dad. Nepotism has no place in the Amora world... obviously." He gestures up towards the courtroom where my indiscretions were paraded about for the last couple of days.

"I worked hard to get the job I got," I try to argue.

But Cordy laughs it off, "You can't honestly think that you got any job based on capability? You a laughing stock among your own kind. You're own father could barely look at through the entire trial."

If his words haven't cut me down enough, the last sentence takes me completely to the floor. I can't even deny it. I kept watching Eros, and rarely did he look my way.

I wonder what he's told Mother. That I've fucked up too far this time? That they need to cut me off completely?

I am down in dark thoughts as I follow Cordy back to the courtroom. What am I going to do with my life now? I don't have my parents, I don't have my home, my kind, Kiki, and, more importantly, I don't have Poppy.