2 - Hooked

mackenzie

"What are you watching?" I stretched my arms over my head and walked into our living room.

Abel was stretched out on the couch, the remote laying on his chest. "The Emmys." He looked at me with an expression I couldn't figure out.

I looked at the tv.

"-lina Jolie, my first girl crush. I have to thank my family. Especially my dad, who held me up and pushed me to be myself after my mothers death. If you haven't yet, please go read or watch By My Side. It's what got me here today. Thank you all so so so much."

Oh.

"Oh."

"I can turn it off?"

"It's an award show. Don't worry about it." I sat next to him on the couch, staring directly at the screen.

He didn't say anything else.

I just watched the tv.

She looks different. A good different.

Her hair is longer. And she's wearing makeup. And that dress.

She always looked good in purple.

"You are allowed to miss her."

I glared at him, "I don't miss her. I am simply admiring someone I used to know."

"Who's like super fucking famous now." He sat up, "Natalie Matthews, the writer now actress said to be this generations 'it girl.'"

"She's not this generation's it girl." I looked away from him, "She's just famous."

"She isn't just famous, Mac. She is super fucking famous." He crawled closer to me, "And she is so the it girl. She is from a small town in Michigan, her mom died her senior year of high school, one of her best friends has a kid that Natalie helps take care of, she was a star athlete in high school, was accepted into multiple colleges but chose NYU, became a small writer, was discovered, starred in her own movie, and now she has like a billion awards."

"Did you memorize her wikipedia page or what?" I stood up, "God. I don't need to be reminded of what she chose, Abel. I don't miss her." I walked up the long stairs.

"That's not what your actions are saying!"

"Maybe jump off a bridge you asshole!" I walked into my room.

She chose New York.

And that's fine.

That isn't my issue.

My issue is still being hooked on her 5 years later.

<><><><>

I put the breakfast burritos Abel's mom made for us a few days ago in the microwave and waited the whole 5 minutes for it to heat up.

"Huh. That's kinda funny." Abel has a tendency to talk to the television while he's watching it. It's the worst when we actually go out to the movies because he'll do it in the theater as well.

I walked back into the living room with the steaming burritos on a plate for us in my hands. My curiosity was too great so I sat next to him, almost dropping my breakfast as I looked at the tv screen.

"I thought she was-" Abel looked at me, "I mean, she has a type."

"Natalie Matthews seen with Hollywood's main man, Harrison Montgomery. The two were seen leaving the Emmys particularly close then seen entering a popular restaurant with a few friends. Could this be a blossoming friendship or a hot romance? Stay here for more detai-"