14

Here I was, sitting in front of my date in a small restaurant, still anxious even though I now felt more comfortable around Rachel.

Conversation flowed easily and we were about ready to go, as we were done eating.

I insisted on paying for dinner but she absolutely refused and we ended up splitting the bill in half. Then we got in her car, hers because she'd picked me up from my house.

I put the seatbelt on and looked at her sternly. "Drive slowly."

In the short ride to the restaurant I'd learned that she was a careless driver and I honestly feared for my life.

She laughed dismissively. "I'll try."

Well, she didn't. In fact I spent the whole ride clinging to the armrest as if that could save me.

When we arrived, she stopped the car and turned to look at me. There was an awkward moment of silence, neither of us knowing what to do or say.

A moment of silence that was interrupted by someone tapping on the passenger's window, my window.

I got startled and made a little jump making Rachel laugh. Turning around I was perplexed in seeing my mother looking down at me through the window. What did she want now?

She was supposed to be out with friends tonight and I certainly didn't expect her to be back by 10pm.

Before I knew what was happening I saw Rachel rolling down the window.

"Hello, you must be Cam's mother right?"

My mother, in her usual fashion, narrowed down her eyes, always suspicious. "Yes, and you are?"

"Oh, right. I'm Rachel. We spoke on the phone a couple of days ago."

Realization swept through my mother's face and she put on her most charming smile.

"Oh, so you are Rachel. Nice to meet you. Cam has told me a lot about you."

I shot her a glare. What the fuck. I haven't said anything about Rachel whatsoever.

The both of them extended their hands and shook them, in the meanwhile completely ignoring me.

"Why don't you come up for a cup of coffee? It's not that late, is it?"

Oh God, no. Please no.

Of course my plea was unanswered and I found myself following them up the stairs.

I ended up silently watching my mother talking with Rachel as if they'd known each other for years. I barely said a word in the half an hour they spent gossiping about me so when Rachel finally said she had to go, I happily stood up and offered to accompany her to her car.

I opened the front door as she said goodbye to my mother and, when she was done, we started making our way down the stairs.

"I'm sorry." I said as I led the way.

"For what?"

I sighed. "My mother, she's just so nosy and she still doesn't know..."

She seemed perplexed. "Doesn't know?"

"About me, I mean." We'd stopped just outside the entrance of the building and faced each other.

When she still didn't seem to get what I wanted to say, I started gesturing between her and me. "You, me, you know?"

"Cam, I authorize you to use words. I can't read your mind."

I sighed impatiently. "She doesn't know about the," I lowered my voice getting closer to her ear, "whole gay thing."