Chapter 3 - Days Past

Eighty-eight years ago.

The school sat nestled in the very heart of the woods of the Fae District of the Capitol. Fae of all kinds gathered here to be taught, in the most magically diverse region in the world.

As soon as Zen was seated for History, his friend behind him, Proulx, sent a static shock across the small distance from his finger directly into Zen's back. Zen let out an undignified squeal, and the students around him laughed. Smirking, Zen put his hand behind his back and did the same back at Proulx. The shock landed in his thigh, and then he gave the finger for good measure. Zen heard the suppressed groan of pain with satisfaction.

"As you know, there are ten elven nations throughout the world," began Professor Chernyy, twirling a new piece of white chalk in her fingers. "Though, they are still called Tribes for the sake of tradition."

Zen half listened with his chin in his hand. His parents just announced that they would all be going on vacation to tropical Nalu once the school year was over, and he was planning how to spend his time.

"Each member nation of course practices a different form of magic and has their own customs as well as regional customs. The Forest Tribe for example is known for being devoted to Gaia and to one another - if one is to believe in generalities." The Professor's tone suggested that one should not. "What are some other stereotypes?"

"The Fire tribe is passionate," said a Water Tribe girl, her cheeks turning pink.

"That's right," said Professor Chernyy. "What else?"

"The Fairies are mischievous," said an Air Tribe boy with feathered wings like an owl.

"And one more," urged Professor Chernyy.

"The Lightning Tribe is ambitious," said a Fire Tribe boy with a hint of distaste that stung Zen.

"And you feel this is a just assessment, Kevyn?" the Professor asked.

Kevyn's friends who sat in the seats around him laughed.

"I mean," Kevyn said, and flicked his eyes to Zen. The look was damning, even if it wasn't Kevyn's intention, and Zen's skin prickled with heat.

Zen scoffed airily, nonetheless. "What did I ever do?"

Kevyn's eyes widened.

"Kevyn?" probed the Professor, giving Kevyn the chance to correct his mistake.

"No," Kevyn said," glancing at Zen's friend Gwyn now. "It's not a just assessment."

The Professor nodded and moved on. "To continue in the same vein, the Water Tribe is said to be both centered and accepting. The winged Air Tribe is dutiful. The Poison Tribe is self-serving."

Zen wondered what it was about Gwyn that Kevyn found more pleasant than he was. Zen's family was successful. That was a good thing. Yet Kevyn used the word 'ambition' like it meant 'greedy'. Gwyn's family was doing well too, but nothing like Zen's.

"The Light Tribe is either enlightened or condescending, depending on the subculture. And the Dark Tribe (or Demons)," here she pointed to her telltale horns and put on a mock nefarious tone, "are dangerous." The students laughed. "And finally, the Earth Tribe is enduring and stubborn."

Gwyn herself was as friendly and outgoing as he was. More of a joiner, though. Not as competitive. But Zen enjoyed the competition between him and Kevyn.

"Now, we're near the end of the school year and our model United Fae Nations Council begins next week, so let's roll this conversation into some of our previous topics to help us prepare. Humanity," she decided. "The United Fae Nation joins their lands in name, though they are disparate in a physical sense, and has existed since the Second World War. The Folk are far fewer than the humans in number, but far more powerful and principled, making them difficult for humanity to ignore. Now, what are some of the main issues that caused the World Wars?"