Chapter 6 - Chay Ferrier

Zen held in a groan of dismay. "By whom?!"

"By - the Dokuyakus. As you know, we work closely with other like-minded families of the Folk. The Dokuyakus are highly influential. The most influential. You know how integral, and lucrative, making potions for human use is in modern society."

"What kind of shady dealings are you doing with them?" Zen asked bluntly.

"There are no deals," his father said. Zen knew his father well enough to know that he meant that deals aren't pertinent to the situation, not that there are no deals between them at all. "They know what you do for a living, and it's a favor that they really need done. They...alluded to pulling out their investments in our company if you do not."

"Not my f-ing problem," Zen answered, incensed. "I'm not throwing away my integrity so you can make more money."

"I told them as much right then and there," he replied as if Zen's moral compass was some kind of defect. "But, to my surprise, they did not let it go. They then alluded to more - personal consequences." Zen felt his dread rise. "They will sink your career, Zen. You know they have enough on you."

"They couldn't possibly..."

"They can and they will, Zen. I've pushed back as hard as I can, but I tell you they have that latitude. I just never thought they would go around me so directly."

"No honor among thieves?" Zen said nastily, hating the position he was in, and hating his family for putting him into it.

His father, for once, let the comment go. "Will you help us, Zenneth?"

Zen hesitated for a long moment. "Pictures of what?"

His father relaxed marginally. "An aerospace company. Magically enhanced airplanes."

"That sounds like espionage. Giving human-owned information to elves like you and the Dokuyakus."

"I don't know for certain to what end, but it seemed financial, not political."

Is there a difference? One affects the other easily enough, thought Zen. "Oh, so only corporate espionage," Zen answered sarcastically.

"Is it possible?" his father pressed.

Zen thought about it, falling into line for just a moment - at least in part due to his father's commanding tone. He hated both the mental exercise and the knee-jerk internal response. "I can do it without being caught, but it's still a risk."

"Both Dokuyaku and we will make sure you get out of any trouble you find yourself in if need be."

It was meant to make Zen feel better, but it made him feel even dirtier. "I can do it - once. But it absolutely cannot be a habit. I'll go to the police if I have to."

His father's eyes widened in surprised anger. "Don't go to the police, Zen. They won't look kindly on us. Any of us."

It was true. Whether or not they were actually guilty of anything. The police largely fell on the public's side 88 years ago, and there is little goodwill even today. "Better than getting pulled back in."

"A last resort, then," his father agreed carefully.

~

Zen couldn't stay there another minute after he'd talked to his father. He met Proulx for lunch, followed by some billiards.

His friend has been more subdued and reserved ever since the revolution. He lost his girlfriend then. Her immediate family was mobbed and wiped out. His friend supported Zen when he decided to leave Capitol, and though they rarely saw each other there was a bond of mutual understanding between them.