CHAPTER 21

"Acceptance means embracing ourselves and others with compassion, flaws and all." - Unknown

Elio's Pov

As I wait for the food to be prepared, I take a moment to reflect on Isla's progress. During our last conversation, I noticed that she no longer stutters while talking to us. It's a heartwarming development, a sign that she's finding her voice and gaining confidence. This realization fills me with pride and reassurance that her journey towards healing is moving in the right direction.

While driving home with the aroma of the delicious meal lingering in the car, my thoughts turn to my father, I recall the conversation I had with Dale earlier in the hospital. It dawns on me that I need to inform papa about Isla's progress and the suggestion Dale made regarding therapy.

With determination, I decide to take a proactive role in Isla's healing process. Instead of seeking professional therapy, I feel compelled to be the one to talk to her, to provide her with a safe space to express her thoughts and feelings. It's a decision rooted in my love and understanding of her, as I believe that my presence and familiarity will bring her comfort and enable open communication.

As I step through the front door, a heartwarming scene unfolds before my eyes. Isla is in the living room, surrounded by everyone in the family, their eyes filled with joy and admiration. I notice that Fabiano and Salvatore are absent, likely occupied with work or other activities within the house.

 Isla seems to be engrossed in petting and playing with our dog, an image that fills my heart with immense pride and happiness. It's truly remarkable to witness her transformation and see how she has formed a special bond with these gentle creatures.

Interrupting the moment, I announce the arrival of the food, capturing their undivided attention. The mention of a delicious meal sparks enthusiasm, and their curiosity leads them to follow me into the kitchen. It's a bustling scene as everyone gathers around, eagerly anticipating their meals.

As I distribute the food, each family member voicing their preferences and desires, a small voice tugs at my pants. I glance down to find Isla standing there, her eyes bright with anticipation. "Gio, where's my nuggies?" she asks, her voice filled with innocence and excitement.

Unable to resist her adorable request, I smile and reach into the bag, retrieving the nuggets specially prepared for her. Placing the container in her hands, I watch as her face lights up with delight. 

The simple act of providing her with her favorite food brings me immense joy, knowing that I can bring a smile to her face with such a small gesture.

As Isla's innocent request to share nuggets with the dogs receives Papa's approval, a smile spreads across my face. Isla's kind-hearted nature shines through as she carefully distributes a few pieces of her beloved nuggets to our furry companions. Watching the dogs happily accept the offering, tail wagging with gratitude, fills the room with warmth and a sense of unity.

However, my attention is momentarily diverted by the commotion caused by the twins. Alessandro and Adriano, in their usual playful banter, engage in a friendly skirmish over the shared food. Their childish antics bring a mix of exasperation and amusement, as they often find themselves caught up in minor disagreements that seem to hold no true significance.

Once our meal is complete, I take it upon myself to save a portion of the food for Fabiano and Salvatore, unsure of their whereabouts at the moment. It is not uncommon for them to be deeply engaged in their work, focused on ensuring the safety and well-being of our family. Their dedication and unwavering commitment are qualities I admire and appreciate.