9: List of the Missing

Dawn was brought straight to Alani's hut, her protests and pleading to be brought home instead were completely ignored. Despite not being that active while in confinement, the Venturer was so tired.

"Get her in." The witch greeted once they had knocked on the door, wasting no time in entering the hut. Dawn slumped in a chair, wishing she were back in her own home.

"Tell me everything that happened. I want you to leave nothing out." Alani gripped Dawn's forearm, hard enough to leave bruises. The Venturer yelped at the sudden attack, eyes wide as Alani leaned in. "Do you understand me, girl?"

"Yes, yes, just let go!" She exclaimed, having endured enough the past few days without wanting to deal with Alani on top of it. Dawn recounted her experience from being captured, to being thrown in the dungeons; she left nothing out.

"So, essentially, you escaped by singing The Nibbler and The Dribbler to a monster who happened to be a prude?" Rose questioned once Dawn had finished, the look of utmost admiration shining in her eyes.

Among many other things leading up to that, Dawn thought but was too tired to argue. "Essentially."

"I knew teaching you that song would come in handy. Although I hate to say it, you might be more devious than me." Rose admitted, having heard Dawn's elaborate escape plan and feeling deep respect for the Venturer.

Dawn rolled her eyes. "Wasn't that previously established? You are the accomplice in this friendship."

"Good enough for me." Rose shrugged, leaning against the table. "Being the mastermind sounds like too much work."

Dawn laughed, then abruptly stopped when the image of violet eyes flashed in her mind. Their similarities were too unsettling for her to find amusing, not liking the thought of comparing her best friend to a monster.

"It's quite impressive." Alani offered a rare compliment, face hard as she stared at the Venturer. "Finding someone's weakness and exploiting it to your advantage. Just how malicious are you, lass?"

"I did what I had to do to escape." Dawn defended herself, having no regrets nor shame about the actions she took to get there.

"This Syrena, she didn't expect you to be so cunning?"

"She did suspect me, but her mistake was underestimating me, I think." Dawn thought back on every step she took, and the look of utter defeat on her enemies' face was enough to cause her to grin. "She truly didn't think I would be able to get past her."

"You appear to have enjoyed deceiving her."

"It was what kept me going." Dawn answered honestly.

Freya, who had been silently watching, finally piped up. "How far did you push the monster?"

"I made her hate me."

"You seem to be okay." Alani concluded, harshly shoving her hair out of her face. "Aside from being dehydrated and hungry, that is."

Dawn didn't want to correct her, didn't want to admit that she felt the farthest from okay. Even though she had returned to the forest, it still felt as though she was trapped beneath the monster kingdom.

"The rest of you, go home and get to bed. Dawn, you stay here for a moment longer."

Rose and Freya didn't need to be told twice, hurrying out of the stone hut faster than Dawn could blink.

"Garrett will want to hear all about this." Alani began, giving Dawn a pointed look.

"I presume he will."