18: The Powerful and The Powerless

(TW: forced nudity, physical assault – please read at your own discretion)

Syrena and Dawn stood side by side, pointing their weapons at each monster who drew too close. They were completely surrounded from all sides, and if the Venturer had to guess, there were at least twenty five Monstra who looked positively delighted to have caught them. Their clothes were the likes of which Dawn had never seen before, but they were obviously not from the Eastern Territories.

The one who spoke took another step closer, luminous eyes fixed on Dawn as though he already knew what she was. "Why would a Monstra need such a pathetic weapon?"

Dawn never saw them move; the bow was knocked from her hands and wrists bound behind her back faster than her eyes could keep up. While monsters did not possess enhanced speed, they were incredibly quick in their movements, as though they were a snake coiling to strike. Her hood was forced down, exposing her identity for all monsters to see.

Syrena fought those who sought to bind her, spear twirling expectedly around her body to ward off attacks. Realising that Dawn had been captured, she moved to free her.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." The monster said, stepping in front of Dawn and blocking the Commander's path.

"Get out of my way." She snarled, looking ready to impale the offending creature.

The monster raised his knife, but instead of pointing it at Syrena, he brought it to the long column of Dawn's throat. When the Commander approached, he pressed the knife in further, coaxing a wince from the Venturer.

"Surrender or this blade slices her throat." His eyes flickered to her spear, wanting to remove the most dangerous piece on the metaphorical game board, as though his success depended on it.

"Don't you dare, Syrena." Dawn hissed, not believing his threat for a moment. There was something strange about this surprise attack, as though it had been carefully planned. The knife cut further into her skin, and the Venturer could feel her blood pool and spill from the contact.

"Don't you want to protect your little pet? Isn't that what you're here for?" He knows, Dawn almost jolted from the realisation. He's in on it.

Syrena reached the same conclusion based on her reaction, eyes narrowing as she assessed what best to do in this situation. She could easily overpower those that surrounded her, but with Dawn's life on the line, it wouldn't be easy to fight her way out.

"Tick, tock, Syrena." His tone was mocking, obviously having caught the Commander's name from Dawn's demand. The sharp sting of the knife grew stronger with the more force that was applied, solidifying Syrena's decision. She knew it would most likely end in their deaths, but perhaps her surrender would buy them enough time to think of a way out.

With a cold glare, Dawn's enemy launched her spear a few feet away, not wanting to hand it over to the monsters. As soon as the weapon left her hands, their foes grabbed her in a similar fashion as they had with Dawn.

"Believe it or not, this is not the first time I've been threatened with a weapon at my throat." Dawn commented, glancing at the glinting blade before giving the monster before her a goading look. "I must say, the first time was significantly scarier." Out of the corner of her eye, she could've sworn she saw Syrena smile just a little.

"Clever little tongue you've got there, perhaps I should cut it out."

"I feel like I've heard that before." She quipped, watched as the blade was removed from her throat and stashed away. The monster motioned to the ones that held her, and her knees buckled from underneath her. Hands gripped her arms, forcing her to the ground. This was also not the first time Dawn had been made kneel before the superior species, but she was no less angry than she had been a few months ago. Syrena fought against the monsters that held her, them struggling despite their numbers to keep her down as she pushed against them. She did not take kind to how they were handling her, or more importantly, how they were handling Dawn.