44: The Red Watcher

"What the hell happened to you?" Leixa greeted Dawn that morning, violet eyes wide as the girl came around the corner looking as though she had been dragged across the continent.

Dawn ignored the question, too impatient to delay any longer. "Where is Rose?"

"Probably in her room, why?"

"I need to talk to her." She said, voice rough. "Now."

Leixa got the message. "I'll take you."

Dawn nodded and followed Leixa from the staircase and to one of the many corridors she had walked down before. Even though she had slept somewhat, her body felt heavy as she walked, and she lacked the energy to stand completely upright.

"You don't look well." The Second commented, unable to stay her tongue as she gazed at Dawn in her peripheral vision.

"I'm not."

"Does Syrena know?"

Dawn was confused as to why Leixa felt the need to bring her up, especially for something insignificant. "No, and I want to keep it that way."

"I don't think you should keep whatever this is from her."

"It's not up to either of you."

"Well, maybe Rose can convince you." Leixa conceded, looking as though she very much wanted to put up more of a fight but knowing that Dawn was in no mood for one. "Are you sure you should see her like this?"

"I don't have time to wait."

"You make it sound as though you are dying."

Dawn didn't say that she might be. Truthfully, she didn't know what was happening to her. Though, she supposed most dying people wouldn't feel such intense fury.

"Are you dying?" Leixa asked properly, voice almost frantic once she realised that Dawn didn't respond.

Sometimes it feels as though I am. "I don't know."

"Please keep it together, the Commander will have my head if you drop under my care."

"My last words shall proclaim your innocence."

"Much appreciated." She grinned before stopping before a door, jabbing her thumb in its direction. "She's in there, I'll leave you two alone."

"Thanks, Leixa." Dawn managed a fake smile before giving her a stern look. "Don't tell Syrena."

The Second bowed, although the action felt sarcastic. "At your command, Your Royal Highness."

Dawn watched as she walked away, more amused by her dramatic display than offended. She stood outside of the door that would lead her to one half of her family, and suddenly she found herself struggling to breathe. What if she had been mistaken that Rose still loved her? What if she actually hated her? Was everything she heard real? Truthfully, Dawn couldn't tell as to whether or not she was still dreaming. Her conflicting emotions were not helping the matter, either.

With a hesitant breath, she knocked on the door.

"Coming!" A familiar voice came from the other side, and the sound cut Dawn to the bone. Footsteps drew closer and the door flew open, revealing a casually dressed human girl on the other side. Rose's green eyes blew wide upon seeing who had knocked on her door, and before Dawn had time to register her face, she had already been pulled inside. "Dawn! You're here!"

"I'm here." She stumbled, unable to tear her gaze away from her best friend. She looked well - healthy. It was a relief to see that Rose had obviously been taken care of in regards to clothing, housing, and food. A weight that Dawn didn't know she carried was suddenly lifted from her shoulders, and the relief was immense.