Prologue

Monsters are not born, they are made.

They were human once. Tortured and experimented on by scientists in search of the 'perfect lifeform'. These test subjects often lost their minds in the process, unable to cope with the extensive morphing of their bodies, deeming them failures. The ones who managed to stay intact were never the same afterwards, often becoming something else entirely; the likes of which the world had never seen before.

After many years of researching and experimenting, scientists could never seem to make a complete enhanced being, with each test subject having some kind of defect. These defects varied, most consisting of an animalistic trait such as horns or wings. However each time a new successful life-form was created, these defects became less animalistic and more inexplicable. Metallic or scaly skin, and oil slick coloured eyes became a common trait for the experiments. Very soon, scientists had discovered the unthinkable.

They had created a new species entirely.

In a way, they were very similar to humans. With roots tied to human anatomy, their bodies were almost identical to their forebears, with similar features that one would expect humans to have. Despite this, scientists had succeeded in giving the new species extraordinary physical qualities such as enhanced strength, eyesight, and hearing. This, in the eyes of the scientists, was the next step in evolution which they had succeeded in bringing about prematurely. The experiments did not get sick, nor need much rest and could sustain nutrients longer than any human. They were even able to withstand greater amounts of pain, with some legends going as far to say that they had enhanced healing abilities too.

The creators prided themselves in their newest creations, boasting the newest form of evolution which they had brought into the world. Naturally, this newest species needed a name.

They were originally given the name Latin name, monstra, ironically named after the defects each one possessed. The scientists would display their creations for all humans to stop and gawk at, amazed at the latest advancements in crafting life. Often touring from country to country to showcase the new species, their creators marvelled at what they had accomplished as did the people who came to their exhibits. It did not take long for the Monstra to become a global phenomenon.

It took a couple of years for the experiments to resent their makers, furious that they were treated as lesser lifeforms when branded as the next step in evolution. Not long after came the Monstra revolt, escaping from their confines and hiding from humans, choosing to bide their time and gather their strength. What no one expected, a foolish oversight, was that the Monstra started to breed. Their offspring, having two sets of enhanced genetics, were born even stronger than those that came before them. By the age of three, these children had the strength of a fully grown man. By the age of twenty, nothing in the world could oppose them.

The Monstra, having multiplied in number over the years, lead a revolution. They destroyed the cell towers first, no longer wanting to be broadcasted to the general public. Then came the transmission towers. One by one, the Monstra brought down any possible feature that might give the humans an advantage. Very soon, a global emergency was issued, all countries urged to prepare for war. The scientists, having been watching their creations with reluctant pride, refused to take action as they could not bear the thought of destroying them. Armies were sent from all corners of the world, bombs were dropped, cities destroyed. However, despite their best efforts, the Monstra were the superior fighters. Guns had little effect, their reflexes too quick to be hit fatally. By the time it came to hand to hand combat, the humans stood no chance. With their superior abilities, the Monstra easily outmatched humans and, with the wars lasting a pitiful few years, humans had all but ceased to exist.

The final war signified the humans defeat, each one rounded up and slaughtered. Those few that managed to escape capture fled to the more secluded parts of the world, hoping to live in what little peace they could find.

Thus came the rise of Earth's newest and most powerful species.

The Monstra made sure to never face the threat of humans ever again. Every gun was destroyed, as were all instructions on how to craft one. Bombs were disarmed and sent to the bottom of the ocean. Fighter jets, and eventually all aircraft, were demolished. Most aspects of the destructive humans were eradicated, as if they had never existed in the first place. The Monstra left what towns and cities remained, knowing the land would reclaim them with time.

To usher in a new era of peace for the newest species, they appointed the first of their kind to be rulers. This was to ensure that they would learn from the mistakes of their predecessors, and never meet the same fate as them. These leaders ruled in peace for many years, and brought forth a new generation of royal Monstra, furthering their lineage.

To this day the new species still call themselves Monstra, however we know them by a different name. One all remaining humans have come to both fear and loathe.

We call them monsters.