Part 4-A Gift

Looking around the room she found that her clothes were placed on the bed, dried, ironed, and neatly folded. Quickly she changed into them, combing her hair into place and securing it with an elastic band. She was wondering where to find Neil when the door opened and he peered inside. "You are up. Good. I was thinking that you had zoned out for the night," he smiled. "So sorry. I don't know what came over me. I have never done that. Passed out on someone's sofa, I mean," her face burned. "It's alright. Dinner is ready. Come, let's eat before it gets cold," he held out his hand, taking hers in his large one, and pulling her gently towards the door. She resisted, "I have to go home. My mother is waiting for me." "If you go home hungry she will wonder why Monica did not feed you dinner..." "How....how do you know....about Monica?" she stuttered. Had he been listening to her conversation with her mother? "She seems to be the only friend you have in college. It is logical that you would have told your mother that you are with her. I don't think you have told her the truth in any case," he smiled. "You are right," she agreed before following him down the stairs. The house seemed to be eerily silent. The light was dim casting shadows everywhere. She felt as if many eyes were staring at her. Looking around she found nothing more sinister than some animal heads mounted on the walls. Stuffed tiger, bear, and deer heads looked down upon her. She knew that they were dead but it still caused a strange fear inside her. Had Neil not been there with her, she would have really freaked out from the scary atmosphere.

They sat down at the long dining table, meant to seat at least twelve people. A huge chandelier hung overhead, its diffused light making the white walls glow unnaturally. The servant was nowhere in sight. "I have sent him home," Neil remarked. Did he read minds, she wondered. The table was lined with many dishes. She lifted the lid off a porcelain dish to find a lamb curry. Another similar dish held chicken legs. He seemed to be very fond of meat. "Don't you like vegetables?" she asked curiously. He shook his head. "Not much," he confessed, helping himself to a generous portion of the lamb. Tanya helped herself to a little chicken. At home, they seldom ate meat. It was costly and they rarely had that kind of money. "What else don't you like?" she asked smilingly. "I don't like too many questions," he said with a serious voice. She took the hint, eating quietly. Later, once done, Neil saw her out to his car, holding the door open for her like the perfect gentleman. Well, he was one. He had not once made a pass at her or looked at her in any way he shouldn't. She should feel at ease with him, but Tanya felt an excitement deep within her when she was with him. Hell, she found him bone-meltingly attractive.

It was nearly midnight and the roads were deserted at the time. Within half an hour they reached her neighborhood and Neil drove right up to her door. As she turned to go, he caught her hand, pulling her close to place a soft kiss on her lips, before seeing her out. "Good night Tanya," he waved to her before driving away in a cloud of dust.

The homeless man was sitting on the footpath. There was nowhere he could go. A dog lying near him barked as a car passed by. The car stopped a few feet from where he was sitting. Footsteps echoed in the quiet of the night as a shadow loomed over him. The dog whimpered and slunk into the darkness. He looked up and his frightened eyes met the glowing ones of a wolf. It was no normal wolf. He had never seen its like in the city, ever. From its size, it resembled a tall, broad man. Before he could run, it lunged towards him and everything went black.

Neil lay in the bathtub, a glass of wine by his side. The suds gave out a minty fragrance. He inhaled deeply. The stench had at last been washed away. He got up, water dripping down his perfectly sculpted body. Rubbing himself with the towel, he glanced at his reflection in the mirror. What he saw pleased him. He was in his prime, an Alpha male. Back home he and Renee would have been enjoying this precious time together. They would have been married, with a little one on the way. Had it not been for that curse, he wouldn't have been stuck in the city. The urge to mate was too strong. He would have to act quickly. He got into his bed, propping up his pillows and lying against them.

The phone beeped. It was a message. Who could it be at this time of the night, Tanya wondered. She checked the phone. 'Are you asleep?' It was from Neil. 'No. Why?' she answered. 'Meet me today. Six in the evening. At the City Park,' he wrote. 'Oh. Will be there. Why?' she was curious. "You will find out soon enough' was the cryptic reply. Tanya shrugged. She did not understand Neil and his moods but she trusted him. He had shown her nothing but kindness and she believed that they were coming to mean something to each other. She was already halfway into falling in love with him. 'Goodnight Tanya' the phone beeped again. 'Goodnight' she wrote before a smile broke out on her face. Her toes curled with the sweet anticipation of being with him.

The day passed extremely slowly for her. She waited for the hour when she could make her excuse to her Mom and leave to meet Neil. The City Park was quite a way from her place. She would have to take the bus. At lunch, she sat at the table, lost in her thoughts. "Is everything alright, Tanya?" her mother asked, lines of worry visible on her face, as she dished out the rice and curry. "Why do you ask?" she was immediately on her guard. Her mother was too astute. If she wasn't careful, she would guess that something was going on. She did not want to reveal about her friendship with Neil yet. She herself wasn't too sure of him. In fact, she still knew nothing much about him and her mother would demand all the details about his family and where he was from. "You seem busy in your own world these days and I scarcely see you at home," she remarked, her brows furrowed. "You know Mom I am trying to avoid the unpleasant atmosphere at home. I have to work hard to bring my grades up. They have been going down. I prefer to study at my friends' place," she lied, feeling a pang of guilt. "Well, I am happy that you are paying more attention to your studies. Do you need money? To buy books and all, you know...." she offered. Tanya shook her head in refusal, feeling like the worst kind of lowlife.

Tanya rummaged through her wardrobe, looking for a suitable dress to wear but could find none. It had been years since she had bought a pretty dress. They never seemed to have enough money for clothes except for the practical ones from chain stores, that too on discount. Ultimately she settled for a skirt and a plain blouse. The skirt was old but its cut flattered her figure and the flower pattern gave it a joyous feel. Teamed with the lemon-colored blouse, it was enough to lift her spirits with its brightness. She left her hair tumbling over her shoulders, the dark tresses falling around her face, lending it an elfin charm. With low pumps on her feet, she was ready to go. The bus dropped her right at the gate of the park at five past six. She entered the premises, her heart beating fast. He was standing by a hedge of bougainvillea, its bright petals in striking contrast with his black trousers and shirt and the wine-red tie. He was talking to someone on the phone but as she approached he rang off. He looked breathtakingly gorgeous, and Tanya felt her heart race. "Hello beautiful," he greeted her. She ran into his waiting arms, eager to feel his warmth against herself. "Come, we don't have much time," he pulled her by the hand. "Where are we going?" she asked. "You will find out soon enough."

They got into his car and he drove towards the market square, parking in front of the exclusive shops which lined the square. They walked down the road, leaving the big, branded shops behind, until they came in front of a boutique. It appeared small, its entrance discreet. When they stepped inside, Tanya could only catch her breath at the rows and rows of beautiful dresses lined on the rails. Each of them must cost a small fortune, she guessed. Neil talked to the girl manning the counter, asking her to find something in her size. Tanya was astounded. She couldn't possibly accept something so expensive from him. She would never be able to repay it. "Neil, I can't take it from you. These dresses are out of my budget. I won't be able to return the money," she protested. "Please consider it a gift Tanya. I really want to buy you something pretty, something just right for you," he assured her. "No Neil. It doesn't feel right," she was adamant. "At least try one of the dresses before you refuse them out of hand," he cajoled.